Mashed soft potatoes combined with flour, rolled in different shapes and poached to perfection, Gnocchi tastes amazing with different sauces.
- Potatoes - 2 large
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dried oregano - 1/2 tsp
- Grated cheese for stuffing
- Wash the potatoes and prick all over with fork. Boil in salted water till soft, or pressure cook.
- Remove, cool and peel. Mash well. Add salt to taste, garlic powder, dried oregano and mix well.
- Now add the 2 flours alternately, but a bit at a time. Keep mixing till the mixture is less sticky. Do not add too much flour as we do not want a dough-like consistency. Gnocchi is best left a little sticky but it just enough flour to make it manageable. Cover and keep aside for about minutes.
- Meanwhile simmer water, add little salt. Roll out the potato dough into a cylinder. Cut out equal portions and roll roughly. Make an indent and stuff a little grated cheese inside. Carefully seal and make a peda-like roll.
- Dust your hands with a little flour if needed.
- Once the water has reached boiling point, reduce the flame and keep it on uniform heat. Drop the rolled potato rounds very carefully into the water and poach them.
- After about 5-6 minutes the rounds will start rising to the surface. Remove them carefully using a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Prepare a sauce as desired, cheese or tomato-based. Place the Gnocchi gently on the serving dish and lightly pour the sauce over it. Do not pour too much sauce. Finally sprinkle cheese just before serving.