Strawberry, Chilly Chocolate Macaroons
MACARONS are a French classic dessert made with eggs, almond flour as main constituents so here is a little different take in that in terms of flavour.
- Almond flour - 100 gm
- Icing sugar - 180 gm
- Egg whites room temperature - 100 gm
- Cream of tartar - 1/4 th tsp use salt if not available
- Castor sugar - 40 gm
- Vanilla extract - 1/4 th tsp optional
- Strawberry extract - 1/2 tsp
- Red food colour I have used gel color - 2 dips of a toothpick
- Filling : Unsalted Butter room temperature - 1/2 cup
- Icing sugar - 2 cups
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Dark chocolate - 1/4 th cup
- Chilly powder - 1/4 th tsp
- Milk - 2 tsp
- Sift the almonds flour, and icing sugar together. Keep aside.
- Now whisk the egg whites, add the cream of tartar and whisk to form a foam.
- Slowly add the Castor sugar into the above while whisking till it forms stiff peaks like meringue.
- Now fold the almond flour+ icing sugar mixture in 3 parts into the egg white mixture. Add the vanilla extract and the strawberry extract.
- Pour the mixture into piping bag. Add the food colour into the mixture.
- I had lined the baking tray with butter paper. I also made markings of circles using smallest round cookie cutter. Then I piped tiny dollops of mixture into the cavities of each circle.
- Tap the tray containing the mat. Let it sit for 1 hour till there is an outer coat formed.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degree Celsius and bake these for 14-16 minutes. Let it cool down and the remove the shells
- For the filling : Melt the chocolate using a double boiler and keep aside.
- Whisk the butter until fluffy. Add the icing sugar and whisk.
- Add the chilly powder, vanilla extract and whisk further. Add the milk and whisk.
- Finally add the melted chocolate into the frosting and whisk until piping consistency is achieved.
- Pour this into a piping bag and pipe a dollop on a macarons shell and cover with the other.