KACHRI (Chana Dal Mini Fritters)
These fritters are called kachri because of the sound of kachar kachar (कचर कचर) i.e. the crunchy noise that they make when you eat them. They are super crunchy! Perfect to enjoy in monsoon and winters
- 1 cup Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilies finely chopped
- 2 Dry Red Chilies de-seeded and finely chopped
- ½ – ¾ cup Onion sliced (optional but recommended)
- ½ cup Coriander fresh, finely chopped (cilantro)
- ¼ tsp Ajwain Carom Seeds, crush slightly between palms
- ¾ tsp Jeera Cumin Seeds
- ½ – ¾ tsp Red Chili Powder adjust amount to taste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Coriander Seeds crushed
- 1/2 tsp Salt to taste, I used half a teaspoon
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the chana dal, two to three times, and soak in sufficient water for five hours. Drain the water and coarsely grind (or even better, pulse it) the dal using approximately four to five tablespoons of water.
- It is pertinent that the dal is ground coarsely because it is this texture which will lead to it becoming super crunchy, when fried.
- Decant the batter in a mixing bowl and using your hands, whisk the dal for approximately a minute.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients (except the oil) to the ground dal and mix them into the batter.
- Set the batter aside for ten minutes. Meanwhile, pour sufficient oil in a wok or a frying pot.
- Bring the oil to medium high heat. Take small amounts of batter and drop them gently into the oil, ensuring not to over crowd.
- Fry the fritters till they become reddish brown in colour. Remove them over an absorbent sheet or tissue and serve them hot with chutney of your choice. Enjoy!
- I prefer using my hands to drop the batter into oil instead of using a spoon because I find it easier to handle the batter this way
- The amount of water, used for grinding, will depend on the soaking time of the dal.
- It is best to serve them hot with your favourite cuppa along with chutney of your choice.
- Do not be tempted to add baking soda or any other raising agent to these fritters. Simply ensure to whisk the batter as advised in the recipe.
Buy on Amazon
Calories: 241 kcal | Carbohydrates: 46 g | Protein: 11 g | Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fat: 0.1 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2 g | Sodium: 499 mg | Potassium: 189 mg | Fiber: 17 g | Sugar: 5 g | Vitamin A: 571 IU | Vitamin C: 50 mg | Calcium: 133 mg | Iron: 4 mg