Apricot Pudding) / (An Indian dessert made from dried apricots stewed in honey accompanied with Fresh Cream and Vanilla Ice cream served with Paan Shots -Betel Leaf Apritif and Digestif -Bull’s-eye, mind-boggling Paan shots !!!!!
Dried apricots - 500 gm.
Sugar- 1/4th cup
Honey- 30 ml (If you want to avoid using sugar then add only honey 100 ml)
Kewra water / Screw pine natural essence- a few drops.
Lemon Juice- 02 ml
Almonds, blanched, peeled and slivered-10 gm.
Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and slivered - 10 gm.
Apricot kernels: 10 gm.
Vanilla Ice-cream- 04 medium sized scoops
Fresh thick cream (Whipped) - 1/4th cup
Maghai Paan leaves / Maghai Betel leaves, dark green -16 nos.
Gulkand 1 ½ tbsp.
Mint coated fennel seeds- 01 tsp.
Desiccated Coconut -01 tsp.
Cardamom Powder- ½ tsp.
Vanilla Ice cream -02 big scoops
Chilled Water- 04 tbsp./ as required.
Ice cubes- 08 small cubes
Glazed cherries- 04 nos.
Gulkand 02 tsp.
For Preparing Khubani Ka Meetha - Wash the apricots and soak in 03 cups of water for 05 hours.
De-seed the apricots, chop 3/4th of the apricots and ¼ th cut into halves and place in a pan along with the water it was soaked add sugar and honey.
Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, till the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes pulpy and blended. Keep the bigger apricots aside and puree the rest 3/4th apricots.
Cook the puree mixture thickens and starts to bubble, now add the reserved stewed apricot halves. Add the kewra water / natural screw pine essence.
Add lemon juice and stir well.
Transfer into a serving dish and let them chill.
Serve cold accompanied with ice-cream.
Top with freshly whipped thick cream.
Garnish with blanched almond and pistachio nuts slivers and apricot kernels.
For Preparing the Paan Shots - Rinse the betel leaves in water and chop roughly.
Make a smooth paste of the betel leaves with very little water.
Blend all ingredients together including the betel leaves paste, till absolutely smooth and blended properly.
Make sure that there are no paan bits floating in the shots. Blend properly.
Pour in the shot glasses.
Chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Serve chilled in for four shot glasses of 60 ml each ,garnished with a glazed cherry or little gulkand.
Chef Tips for preparing Khubani Ka Meetha:
- It may also be served warm, if desired then do not chill.
- To enhance the flavour, apricots may be stewed in only honey i.e. no sugar then use 100ml. I personally suggest using only honey.
- To further enhance the flavor and colour you may add ½ gm. of Saffron strands steeped in a little hot milk or hot water.
- Do not discard the Apricot kernels, Remove the kernels and blanch them, remove the skin and set aside the kernels for garnishing.
- After topping with freshly whipped cream it may be topped with a little honey.
Chef Tips for preparing Paan Shots:
- If you want a more greener colour, as per your choice or as desired, you may take 04 more Maghai betel leaves and prepare a smooth paste and add to the shots.
- Do not add too much of cardamom powder or it will mask the flavor of betel leaves.
- You may use fresh cherries or canned cherries instead of glazed cherries.
Share on pinterest
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Rated 4.2 based on 337 votes
Be the first to rate this post.