Kids Favorites : Crispy Baked Crumb Chicken : Finger-Licking Good!! :)
Crispy Fried Chicken: a classic kids favorite. So many fast food chains sell these like hotcakes. However what we do not like is all that oil that goes into deep frying. And also these frozen stuff coated in something that is supposed to be breadcrumbs. There certainly is a way to optimize this favorite to a healthier meal. So how did we do that? BAKE the crumb coated chicken! And the end-result is soft, succulent, flavorful chicken with a lovely golden and crunchy coating on the outside. Served with a side of freshly prepared coleslaw, oh this meal is heavenly!!! A classic example of how junk can be made healthy too!
- 800 gm Chicken on the bone; cut into medium size pieces
- 2 egg
- 3 tbsp Milk
- Refined oil
Ingredients for the Dry Spice Rub
- 1 tbsp Paprika or Kashmiri Chili powder, adjust as per spice tolerance
- 1 tbsp Pepper cracked, adjust as per spice tolerance
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder or cloves of freshly crushed Garlic
- 1 tbsp Onion powder optional
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the Seasoned Crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup Plain Flour
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Corn Flakes coarsely crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp Garlic powder optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp Onion powder optional
- 1 tbsp Paprika or Kashmiri Chili powder, add more if you like it nice and spicy
- 1 tsp Pepper adjust as per spice tolerance
- 2 tbsp Dried Rosemary
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the chicken and pat dry with a kitchen towel to absorb all moisture.
- Make deep gashes on each piece and marinate it with the ingredients listed under 'Ingredients for the Dry Spice Rub.' Keep aside for at least an hour.
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix together all ingredients listed under 'Ingredients for the Seasoned Crumbs.'
- Make sure to mix through well so that all the ingredients are combined evenly. Keep aside
- Take another bowl and beat together the eggs and milk. Keep aside
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius
- Drench the marinated chicken pieces one by one in the egg and milk mixture and coat well with seasoned crumb mix.
- Give it a little pat and a shake to hold the crust together and repeat the same procedure (dipping and coating with seasoned crumb mix) a second time.
- Arrange the crumb coated chicken pieces on a greased baking tray
- Drizzle a little oil on each piece of chicken and bake in the oven.
- Bake for five to seven minutes at 200 degree Celsius and then turn down the heat back to 180 degree Celsius and bake for fifteen minutes
- After fifteen minutes, take out the baking tray with the chicken and drizzle some more oil on each piece. This step is crucial to avoid drying of the chicken. It helps to keep the chicken moist and succulent.
- Once some more oil has gone onto each piece of chicken, place the tray back in the oven and bake till you get a nice golden crispy crust on the outside and the meat is juicy and cooked through
- Serve this Crispy Baked Crumb Chicken which has rested for a minute or two with some deliciously Creamy Cabbage and Carrot Coleslaw
Calories: 590 kcal | Carbohydrates: 72 g | Protein: 32 g | Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 1 g | Cholesterol: 155 mg | Sodium: 360 mg | Potassium: 505 mg | Fiber: 5 g | Sugar: 4 g | Vitamin A: 590 IU | Vitamin C: 11 mg | Calcium: 141 mg | Iron: 8 mg