Some people enjoy alcoholic drinks for different reasons. Some individuals like having a drink or two at night right before they go to bed. On the other hand, there are others who enjoy it with friends and loved ones during special occasions.
This is why stocking up on your home bar is important. It gives you a variety of alcoholic drinks for any craving or occasion. One of the staples that you might want to add to your home bar is a good bottle of gin. Fortunately, it’s now easy to buy gin online, making certain brands more accessible to more people all around the world.
However, there are still some difficulties in choosing which bottle of gin to purchase. Here are some tips to help you determine what gin is best for you:
Know The Types Of Gin
Just like any other alcoholic drink, gin has different types. Learning about the types of gin is a great way to know more about its ingredients, tastes, and flavors. You can check out this list to be familiar with the different kinds of gin:
- London Dry – This gin is made from a variety of ingredients such as citrus, coriander, angelica root, and the most notable component, Juniper. London Dry gin is a great option for shaken and stirred mixed drinks, like the pink gin cocktail
- Old Tom – If you’re looking for something richer, malty, and citrusy in taste, old tom is the way to go. Its popularity started from cocktail trends that concoct amazing mixed drinks that are sugar-free.
- Plymouth – This gin is at a lower proof in comparison to London Dry. The juniper flavor is also subtle, which makes it great for making a Martini.
- Genever – For a richer flavor, that’s also malty, savory, and earthy, try out Genever. If you like a Gin Old Fashioned recipe or a mixed drink with sweet vermouth, this is definitely the type of gin you’re looking for.
Another thing to consider when buying gin is the price. Alcohol can range from affordable to extremely high priced, and it all depends on the quality. You’ll be able to find something from less than USD$10 up to almost USD$4,000. It’s important to think about how much you’re willing to spend so you could narrow down the different brands.
Because this is something that you’ll be personally consuming, taste should be a priority. In concocting mixed drinks, you should also take into consideration the choice of gin you’d select based on its flavor and taste. Here are some flavors that you can choose from:
- Spicy – Some gin gives out a hint of spice because of ingredients like pepper berries, cubeb berries, and cinnamon. But there are certain brands that also make use of coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, saffron, pink peppercorn, and even black pepper. Usually, spiced flavored gin pairs well with oranges, cinnamon, or even star anise.
- Earthy – Woody and earthy gin is also another popular flavor. These flavors are derived from juniper and some other botanicals.
- Floral – Floral flavored gin is usually more mellow and sweet. You might taste a hint of honeysuckle, pomelo, sage, chamomile, orange, coriander, and lavender. Garnishing with rose petals or berries is a fantastic way to top off floral gin cocktails.
- Herbaceous – If you like the taste and hint of dried mint, rosemary, and thyme, you’ll definitely enjoy herbaceous gins.
- Citrus – Gin has always been popular, but citrusy gin is definitely a crowd favorite. They could have a zesty taste from grapefruit, lemon, lime, and oranges.
Try Buying Smaller Bottles
Another smart way to help you decide which gin to select is to buy mini bottles to try each type first. This will make it more affordable and easier to consume. It’s a great strategy for you to be able to taste different kinds of gin before purchasing one. Besides, you might also discover flavors or newer brands that you haven’t known about.
By doing this, you’re saving time, effort, and money. Keep in mind that you’ll be the one consuming this, so it’s just right to follow your preference in choosing the right one for you.
Choosing the best gin to stock up on your home bar should be based on your personal preference, such as its taste, flavor, and ingredients. Having the right information regarding these factors is vital in deciding what to purchase. Before buying one, bear in mind that nothing else feels great than having a good choice of gin that can be suitable for any occasion.