Homestyle Eggplant Curry – Kerala Style
- 2 Eggplant purple, medium sized, finely chopped (use the regular small eggplant and not the ones used for baingan bhartha) [you could also use the long green eggplant]
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Onion big, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 Green chili slit lengthwise (use as per spice tolerance)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tbsp Chili powder Kashmiri or hot chili powder, use as per spice tolerance
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds in case you don't have fennel seeds you could use cumin seeds
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Fenugreek ground
- 1 Tomato big, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk thick
- Coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves finely chopped (optional)
- Heat oil in a wok and shallow fry the eggplant till slightly crisp. Remove the fried eggplant from the oil and drain on kitchen towel. Keep aside.
- Into the same wok, add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Add the fennel seeds and sauté till raw smell disappears. Now add the green chili, onions and curry leaves and saute till onions turn light brown.
- Once the onions have browned well, add the chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and sauté till raw smell disappears.
- Now add the chopped tomato and sauté for a few seconds till all the ingredients have combined well. Add enough water (add according to how much gravy you would want.
- (I like a thick curry, so did not add too much water) and cover and cook for a few minutes. Allow the curry to boil well and eggplant to soften a little.
- Now add the thick coconut milk and stir well. Cook till small bubbles appear here and there. Switch off flame and add the chopped coriander leaves. (optional)
- Your Homestyle Eggplant Curry - Kerala Style is ready. Serve hot or warm with chapathis.
Buy on Amazon
Aloo Ka Halwa
Potato (aloo) ka halwa is a delicious Indian dessert. Original Indian recipe by home makers,…
French Polynesia’s Traditional Tahiti Banana Poe
French Polynesia's Traditional Tahiti Banana Poe is a sweet, pudding-like confection made from bananas, cornstarch,…
3 Flavored Marble Cake
Gone are the days when we had normal cakes. We can experiment so much with…
Crispy Potato Rava Fingers
See how to make potato starter, potato rava fingers recipe. This is a healthy potato…
Whole Wheat Healthy Banana Bread Dessert
Healthy Banana Bread: My favorite fruit is Banana as Banana is not everyone's choice of…
Soft Homemade White Sandwich Bread
A homemade white sandwich bread in breakfast is the best way to start your day.…
The Ultimate Oreo Guidebook – Featuring Oreo Recipes, Myth-busting And Much More
When we say black and white milk cookies, Oreo is the first name that comes to mind. In the modern…
9 Best Tips For Perfect Italian Cooking
Do you enjoy the perfect Italian cooking? Are you fond of ordering food from the best Italian restaurants like the…
8 Spices of India That Rule The Indian Kitchen
Spices of India – Indian cuisine is globally known for the flavour of herbs and spices. It is predominantly a…
5 Easy Ways To Make Cold Brew Coffee
Don’t waste your money on pricey coffee drinks. Learn these 5 easy ways to make cold brew coffee instead. They’re…
Top 7 Reasons To Switch To A Vegan Diet For Improved Health And Well-Being
It is necessary to talk about something that’s been getting more and more popular these days: a vegan diet. You…
Most Important Eating Tips For Seniors
Today we would like to share this informative post with all of you, the older you get, the faster your…
No comments yet
Lovely recipe..Anything made is coconut oil gives a completely different flavor.