Baigan Ka Bhartha / Seasoned Roasted Eggplant Relish
- Brinjal / Eggplant - 2 large
- Onions - 2 medium
- Tomatoes - 2 big finely chopped
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilies - about 3-4 finely chopped
- Garlic cloves - 3
- Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup chopped
- Curry leaves few springs
- Oil - 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp
- Wash and wipe the brinjal well. Coat the outer surface with oil and then it's ready for roasting. Roasting on the gas cooktop is the most easily and best method you can do to achieve that charred and smoky effect.
- So take the greased eggplant and place it directly on the burner., keep the flame on low.
- Keep turning the eggplant and make sure all the sides are exposed to flame. This takes about 5 - 6 mins, depending on how big is the brinjal.
- Once the brinjal is cook you will notice that the out side will start to look charred and you will get that smoky smell, and way would that the brinjal will almost go in or "cave in"
- When the brinjal is roasted well, allow it to cool. Then remove the stem and the outer charred skin. You can either mash it or add it as such.
- In a non stick pan, add oil and cumin seeds. When they start to splutter, add onions, curry leaves, garlic & coriander powder. Keep stirring till the onions turn colour brown
- Then add chopped tomatoes, Add salt, turmeric and cover with lid. Next add the roughly mashed eggplant. Stir well and simmer for 5 - 7 mins so that it cooks well.
- Mash everything together and for 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves on top
- Serve hot with rotis/chapati/phulkas
No comments yet
Waiting for more recipes from your side Abhinav.