Kongunadu Arisi Paruppu Sadam
Arisi Paruppu Sadam is one most famous of Coimbatore and Pollachi . Arisi Paruppu Sadam is one pot dish which includes rice , dal , ghee and spices . My husband is from Coimbatore and I got to learn this recipe from my Mother In law . Very easy , quick , tummy filling , energy giving dish . This dish tastes best with fryums and pickle .
- Par boiled rice 1 cup
- Toor Dal 1/2 cup
- Onion big sized 2 thinly sliced
- Tomato big 2 finely chopped
- Garlic cloves 5 chopped
- Mustard seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves a fistful
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chillies 3
- Sambar powder 1 teaspoon
- Ghee 3 tablespoons
- Water 3.5 cups
- Hing a pinch
- Shallots 5 halved .
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes . Similarly , wash and soak dal for 20 minutes . This step shouldnâ€™t be omitted .
- This recipe is electric cooker version . Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in the cooker . Crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds . Add red chillies .
- Add curry leaves . Fry slightly . Add the thinly sliced onions and sautÃ© till light brown . Add the halved shallots and roast in ghee . Add the garlic pieces . SautÃ© again .
- Add tomatoes and sautÃ© till tomatoes turn mushy . Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder , 1 teaspoon Sambar powder .
- Add a pinch of hing and a teaspoon of salt . Pour 3.5 cups water and bring the water to boil .
- While water starts boiling , add the soaked rice and dal . Mix all together .
- Add another spoon of ghee . Cover the cooker and set to cook mode . Arisi parippu Sadam is ready in 20 minutes .
- Serve hot with fryums and pickle .
Water ratio varies depends on the rice used . So adjust accordingly . Soaking the rice and dal before cooking helps in fast and even cooking .