I have experimented with Bengali Sweets a lot and this is one of my innovations!I made a plain Chum Chum and painted it on top with edible food colours making it an edible example of Modern Art.I used liquid food colours and a plain silicon brush to paint over the colours resulting in very pretty and delicious Chum Chum!
Ingredients & Quantity
- 300 gms homemade chenna (see recipe below in notes)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Rose essence (optional)
- 1 tsp Kewra essence (optional) you can use Cardamom or saffron as per your taste
- Edible food colours – I used green,strawberry pink,saffron yellow and orange jalebi colour
- Silver varakh to decorate (optional)
Post Fusion Recipes from 27th Mar to 02nd Apr 2017 and win a Recipe book worth INR 995/- authored by Celebrity Chef Shazia Khan and an Amazon gift voucher worth INR 250/-
'Recipe theme of the week'
How to cook?
- Knead the chenna for 20 – 25 minutes till smooth and satiny.Take lime sized portions and roll them into oblong shapes.Press to give them the characteristic Chum Chum shape.
- Boil the water and sugar in a pressure cooker and when it comes to a vigorous boil add the prepared Chum Chum.Close lid and allow to come to 1 whistle.Lower the heat to the lowest point and cook for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and allow to come to room temperature.Open the lid and transfer the Chum Chum with the syrup into a glass bowl.Refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning take all colours on a plate.Remove the Chum Chum from the syrup and drain.Arrange evenly on a plate.Dip the brush in the syrup and then into the colour.Paint the Chum Chum randomly with the colours to create a beautiful multicoloured top
Recipe for Chenna :
1/2 liter low fat milk
1/2 liter full cream milk
3 tbsp vinegar mixed in 1/4 cup warm water
Boil the milk till it comes to a simmer.Add the water and vinegar solution and mix till the milk separates into cheese solids or paneer.Strain through a cheesecloth or strainer and put the residue in a bowl.Knead the paneer for 25 – 30 minutes till it becomes very smooth and can be rolled into balls.