Kunafa / Middle-Eastern Cheescake
Kunafa, is a Arabic/Middle-Eastern cheese pastry soaked in sweet, sugar syrup. It is a specialty of the Middle-East, especially the areas of Egypt and Turkey.
- 300 gm Vermicelli roasted, seviyyan
- 2 to 3 tbsp Ghee melted
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 150 gm Ricotta cheese
- 50 gm Cheese spread
- 100 gm Mozzarella cheese grated
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Rose water or Orange blossom water
- Take vermicelli in a bowl add the honey, melted ghee and toss it, until well-mixed. Keep aside.
- Use a large spatula or wire whisk and mix the ricotta with the cheese spread, until smooth and creamy. Grate the mozzarella and keep in a separate bowl.
- Pour the sugar and water into a large pot, and put it to boil. When the syrup begins boiling fast, add the orange blossom water, and stir.
- Let the syrup reach one-string consistency and switch off flame.
- Grease a 9-inch spring-form pan with ghee or butter.
- Begin with a layer, about an inch thick, of the seviyyan, and use your fingers or the back of a glass/bowl to tap and smooth it out evenly.
- Pour the filling over the seviyyan evenly, and then spread the mozzarella on top evenly, covering all sides.
- Repeat the seviyyan layer, and cover the top well, pressing down the sides gently.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10 to 15 mins, at 150 C, or until top is crusty and golden.
- Once done, and while still hot, quickly pour the syrup on top all over.
- Let it stand, allowing the syrup to soak in for 5 to 10 mins, and then garnish with chopped pistachios, rose petals and serve warm.
Buy on Amazon
Calories: 278 kcal | Carbohydrates: 45 g | Protein: 5 g | Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g | Cholesterol: 26 mg | Sodium: 182 mg | Potassium: 35 mg | Fiber: 0.5 g | Sugar: 19 g | Vitamin A: 180 IU | Vitamin C: 0.3 mg | Calcium: 106 mg | Iron: 0.3 mg
No comments yet