In addition to a knife, a cutting board is one of the few kitchen supplies that you use for almost every dish. It is impossible to cook without sliced ??ingredients, so a cutting board is indispensable for cooking. But how much attention did you pay to buy it?
The Wooden Cutting Board
Cutting boards have been made of wood for centuries. Wood has the property that it can be made in any size. It is strong, it can get wet and does not blunt your knives. It is not a problem if microscopic particles of wood get into your food by cutting on the wooden board. You see wood cutting boards all over the world, and yet in a number of countries. It has been decided to ban them in professional settings.
Studies shows that just the natural antibacterial properties of wood can make wood cutting boards preferable to other materials. It is therefore no problem for home use to use wooden cutting boards this is done very often. Especially for cutting non-wet food, such as bread, cake and cake, a wooden cutting board is preferred. With freshly baked bread, a wooden sideboard with grooves is ideal: there is no condensation under the bread because air is added, so no wet bread but a crispy crust. The crumbs can be collected under the shelf and can be reused with other dishes.
Advantages of a wooden cutting board
- Wood is extremely durable. Of course, it can get scratched, but if you treat your cutting board well and maybe even have it professionally fixed now and then, they can often go out again.
- A thick wooden cutting board can last for decades.
- Your knives will be very happy with a wooden cutting board. Especially soft wood, such as maple wood, hardly damages your knives – with bamboo it becomes trickier again.
- Wood cleans itself! While it may seem dirty that the material can absorb liquid (and therefore bacteria), wood is good at killing those bacteria.
Disadvantages of a wooden cutting board
- You should invest in a good wooden cutting board. They are especially durable if they are made by good craftsmen; cheaper variants are relatively sensitive and cause cracks in the wood.
- Wood is not really dishwasher safe, so you should always wash your cutting board by hand. A lot of water and high temperatures have a bad influence on the durability.
- The rest of the care is also quite intensive: you have to regularly treat a wooden cutting board with Cutting Board Oil to clean it well. Cutting board oil protect it from stains and not to let your plank dry out.
- Thick wooden cutting boards are the most sturdy, but also relatively inconvenient because they are very heavy.
The choice of a cutting board made of wood or plastic depends on whether you believe that plastic has better antibacterial properties than wood. And although research is ambiguous, the legislator has decided to prescribe plastic for the professional kitchen. You are free to choose at home, and you can do what you like best: wood or plastic.
Your life will be a lot better if you think carefully about the size and material of your cutting board. There are quite a few differences between a wooden cutting board and a plastic cutting board.