Thepla is a traditional Gujarati flat bread prepared using few ingredients. Quick and healthy as it contains veggies and wheat flour. It goes well with pickle or hot tea or coffee.
- Methi leaves â€“ 1cup tightly packed and finely chopped
- Wheat flour â€“ 1 1/2 cups + 2tbsp for dusting rolling board.
- gm Flour â€“ 10 tbsp
- Red chilli powder â€“ 1 Â½ tsp
- Ghee / Oilâ€“ 1 tbsp. for kneading + 2tbsp for greasing
- Water as required for kneading
- Serving â€“ Curd or pickle or any dip or sauce.
- Wash plucked Methi leaves twice/thrice. Drain off water completely. Chop finely or run through a food processor.
- Add salt and rub well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large deep bowl take wheat flour, gram flour, salt, red chilli powder and oil. Mix well.
- Add chopped methi leaves. Mix it well.
- Add water slowly at a time and knead it into a semi stiff dough. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12-14 equal parts. Shape them into a smooth ball.
- Dust rolling board with some wheat flour. Roll dough ball into a thin roti or circle about (6-7â€ diameter).
- Heat nonstick pan or griddle. Place thepla on it. Let it cook till bubbles appear on the top. Cook on medium low flame.
- Flip it over and let it cook for few seconds. Apply some ghee.
- Flip it again and apply ghee on another side and cook until light brown spots appear on both the sides. Press in between with the help of spatula for even cooking.
- Once cooked properly transfer it on a plate
- Serve hot with curd, pickle or any subji or curry.
It is necessary to clean leaves under running water at least twice.