Salt and spices are essential staples in the kitchen. Both are used in almost every flavorful dish. Food would be boring without these important ingredients. Luckily, due to recent food crazes, these classic salt and spices have been taken to a whole new level.
Smoked Spices And Sea Salt
Current food trends have brought smoked spices and sea salt to the fore. These are the typical kitchen staples that have been smoked over wood fire to enhance their flavor. Smoking gives the sea salt a poignant sweet-smokey scent which is great for different dishes.
This smoked sea salt and spices craze has been approved by chefs and food enthusiasts alike. But, what made these ingredients popular are the benefits they may provide when used in cooking. These smoked seasonings may have more benefits compared with the regular ones.
Here are some advantages of using smoked sea salt in cooking:
Adds More Flavor To Food
Cooking with smoked sea salt is a great way to infuse a grilled and smokey flavor with a dish without a bitter aftertaste. There are a lot of varieties of smoked salt available in the market. Some of these are mixed into other spices like those at online stores like Oregano Spices.
Gives Desserts A Little Kick
Sea salt can be used in a variety of dishes, not just on savory food. It can also add more flavor to desserts. If you’re thinking of doing something daring, try adding smoked sea salt to your caramel ice cream. A pinch of it would be great to give a little kick to your normal sweet dishes.
Brings Extra Tenderness To Steaks
Not only desserts can benefit from sea salt, but a good chunk of meat, as well. Adding a good smoked salt rub draws out moisture from the steak. The sea salt turns into brine when it dissolves. Then, it’s absorbed by the muscle of the meat. This process breaks down the lean muscles, producing a more tender slab of meat.
Promotes Good Health
Salt contains minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and sodium which are good for the body. Here are some health benefits that smoked sea salt may provide:
- Supports your digestive system
- Maintains the balance of body fluids
- Helps in preventing dehydration
- A good source of micronutrients
Give It A Try
If you want to test the benefits of smoked sea salt, here’s an easy recipe to try:
Grilled Cheese With Ham, Pineapple, And Smoked Sea Salt
- 5 slices ham
- ¼ pound shredded Comte cheese
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 pinch smoked sea salt
- 2 thick slices of bread
- 2 tablespoon chopped pineapple
- Assemble the sandwich by adding half of the cheese to one slice of bread. Add the ham and pineapple. Then, put in the remaining cheese. Top the sandwich with the other slice of bread. Sprinkle with smoked sea salt.
- Place a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Place your sandwich on the hot pan.
- Cook one side of the sandwich until nicely browned. Then flip and repeat the process until both sides are nice and crisp.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan when the cheese has melted.
- Let it sit for another minute before slicing. This will help the melted cheese bind the ingredients inside the sandwich.
- Serve while hot.
Smoked spices and salt undoubtedly contribute to the flavor of dishes in their special way. Furthermore, they’re all-natural and have excellent health benefits. Using salts like these will surely elevate your dishes and desserts to the next level.