Tamilnadu style suzhiyam recipe / suzhiyam recipe â€“ a stuffing put together with cooked channa dal, jaggery, cardamom powder and coconut. This stuffing is made into balls and dipped in a maida, rice flour batter and deep fried in oil.
Best Sellers on Amazon
Yield / Serves
Maida â€“ Â½ cup
Rice flour â€“ 2 tbsp
Cooking soda â€“ a generous pinch (optional)
Channa dal â€“ Â½ cup
Jaggery â€“ Â½ cup
Cardamom extract/cardamom powder â€“ Â½ tsp
Shredded Coconut â€“ Â¼ cup
1. Pressure cook ½ cup of channa dal, drain water and mash using a ladle.
2. Transfer the dal into wok or saucepan. Add jaggery, after it starts melting, add cardamom extract, and coconut.
3. Mix well and turn off the flame. The stuffing should be thick to make as round balls.
4. Let it cool and make equal sized balls as in picture.
5. In between preparing a maida batter. In a mixing bowl, add ½ cup of maida, 2 tbsp of rice flour, pinch of salt and a generous of pinch of cooking soda.
6. Mix everything really nice. Add water slowly and mix without lumps to form a batter like an idli dosa batter consistency. If you pour this using a ladle, it should be like a ribbon.
7. Once everything is ready, heat a kadai with oil to deep fry suzhiyam.
8. Place a channa ball in batter, fully coat it with batter, place in hot oil. You can put 3 to 4 at a time.
9. Keep the flame medium low. Cook for 30 to 40 secs, flip to another side and cook for 40 secs.
10. Drain the oil and place it on a plate. Do the same for remaining.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Rated 4.4 based on 5 votes
Be the first to rate this post.
Share on pinterest
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Browse by Served As
Browse Recipes By