- 1/2 Cup roasted Rava semolina
- 1/2 cup handvo flour
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup slightly sour yogurt
- Water as needed
- A pinch of asafoetida powder
- 1 finely chopped green chili
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Mix the flours and turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Combine yogurt and 1/2 tsp baking soda in another small bowl and whisk. Add this to the above flour mixture and mix well with a spoon.
- Next add water as needed and mix to make a thick batter (thicker than dosa batter). I had to add about 3/4 up water.
- Cover and let the batter sit to ferment overnight or for about 7 - 8 hours or lesser time if you live in a hot climate.
- In the morning / just before steaming the dhokla, grease a thali or a circular cake tin of about 6- 7 inches in diameter. Keep your steamer / pressure cooker ready for steaming by pouring water in the base
- Add salt, asafoetida and green chili to the fermented batter and mix well with a ladle.
- Add 1/2 tsp baking soda to 2 - 3 tbsp. of hot water and stir it with a spoon and add it to the batter.
- Stir the batter vigorously using a ladle in clockwise motion for few seconds. You would notice the effervescence and the batter turns frothy.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 tsp red chili powder over it. Place it in the steamer / pressure cooker and cover it.
- Steam on medium flame for about 15 - 20 minutes or until a knife / toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean
- Allow it to rest for a couple of minutes and brush it with about a tsp of oil over the surface using a flat surfaced wooden spatula. Cut into squares using the same spatula or a knife.
- These dhokla were served with a green chutney, oil and garlic chatny.
Zero Oil Chickpeas Croquettes With Mango Pepper Salsa
Those stray hunger pangs between meals are the greatest hurdle in achieving one’s weight-loss goals.…
Crunchy Quinoa Salad With Chili Mustard Vinaigrette
Most of my vegan meals are inherently healthy and quick to prepare. But whenever I…
Traditional Christmas Gingerbread
The essence of Christmas is in the giving gesture. Its not always that we have…
Beetroot Bliss Balls (Vegan And Paleo Recipe)
Bliss balls as the name suggests are blissful little packets loaded with energy that serve…
Spinach Banana Muffins
When kids are picky about eating food we want to gave them something which they…
Easy Chocolate Waffles
Waffle Recipe.A very quick recipe to make tasty and easy chocolate waffles without waffle iron.…
7 Most Important Steps To Write A Recipe
Is writing a recipe for a cookbook or a food blog an easy task? If you say yes, this is…
A Guide to Starting a Successful Home Baking Business
Does everyone you know think that your cookies and cakes are the best? Perhaps many have told you that you…
7 Benefits of Black Chia Seeds – Flawless Skin and More…
Benefits of Black Chia Seeds ! Many people who have problematic skin look for products that can improve it. However,…
5 High Protein Plant-Based Snack Ideas
High Protein Plant-Based Snack Ideas! A high protein diet comes with a lot of benefits, including increased satiety during meals…
How To Prepare Burgers That Are Good For You
The best burgers are usually the ones loaded with cheese, mayo, chili, and all that good stuff. No wonder it’s…
How To Win A Recipe Contest? Tips By A Professional Chef
How To Win A Recipe Contest? CHEF SPEAKS: A message in the wee hours of the morning on the Facebook messenger…