Bharli Vangi (Maharashtrain Brinjal)
Bharli vangi or stuffed eggplant is a traditional Maharashtrian dish and it is top ranked menu item for many functions and weddings in Maharashtra. Bharli vangi is the most popular, and a much-loved vegetarian curry recipe among the Marathi folks.
- 500 gm brinjal
- 2 tbsp coriender seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp shahi zeera
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3-4 black pepper corn
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut grated
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 10 garlic cloves smashed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric pwr
- Wash the brinjal and pat them dry. Slit the brinjal into 4 keeping the end intact.
- Dry roast whole coriander seeds, cumin seeds, shahi zeera, cinnamon, black pepper corn and cloves.
- Dry roast peanuts and coconut until slightly browned.
- Add the roasted ingredients in blender along with onion and ginger and make a paste.
- Add little water if required.
- Add salt, fresh coriander and tomato in the mixture and mix well.
- Stuff this mixture in the brinjals.
- Keep the remaining mixture aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic and turmeric and fry until browned.
- Add the stuffed brinjal and fry for 5 minutes.
- Mix the remaining masala with water and add it in the pan.
- Cover and cook until brinjal are cooked.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Bharli vangi is ready. Serve hot with bajri bhakri, onion and lemon wedges. Enjoy!