Authentic Sambar Powder Recipe
Sambar is the signature recipe of Tamilnadu and the making of sambar becomes very easy if you have this Sambar Powder with you. The sambar tastes very delicious because of the perfect blend of the spices in the right proportion. This is the recipe of the traditional Â sambar powder followed in my family over generations....
- Coriander Seeds 1 cup
- Thur dal 1 cup
- Chana dal 1/2 cup & Red chillies 3 cups Remove the Stem
- Urad dal 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek 1/8 cup
- Pepper 2 tea spoons
- 2 or 3 Turmeric pieces
- Heat a pan and dry roast the thur dal, chana dal, coriander seeds, pepper and red chillies separately till they become hot. No need to fry till they change the colour.
- Dry roast urad dal and fenugreek separately till they change to brown colour.
- Allow them all to cool down well.
- Add the turmeric pieces and grind to very fine powder and store in air tight box.
- If you are making in large quantity keep a small portion in the shelf and store the rest in refrigerator to retain the fresh aroma.
- Use 3 tea spoons of this sambar powder for making sambar for 3 persons with a small lemon size tamarind. Since we saute sambar with green chillies and a red chilli adjust the powder quantity accordingly.