Paruppu Vadai | Masala Vadai | Dal Vada | Lentil Fritters Recipe
Paruppu | Masala Vadai is very famous in South India. I am very fond of this vadai and I make it often. This recipe is particularly a Tamil Nadu style recipe. I have used only chana dal to make this vadai. You can alternatively mix urad dal and toor dal as well. It's up to your choice. I added Onion and ginger to make this vadai. If you are offering this as Naivedyam, then skip the masala stuffs like cumin, onion and ginger. Some people even add garam masala to this vada. All these spices are up to your choice. This could be a perfect evening snack with a cup of Tea. You can make it as a starter for lunch. It tastes so yummy with sambar and rice. Overall, It's a perfect choice when you are craving for something flavorful and crunchy.
- 1/2 cup Chana dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 2 to 3 Red Chili
- 1 Onion medium sized, finely chopped
- 5 - 6 sprigs Curry leaves chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- 1 inch Ginger finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying the vadas
- First soak chana dal and urad dal for 1 hr 30 mins. Meanwhile, get all the other ingredients ready.
- After 1 hr 30 mins, drain the water completely and rest the dal for about another 15 to 20 mins to make it bit dry.
- Now take red chili in mixer jar and make a powder of it.
- Once the dal is ready, add the dal in mixer jar and grind coarsely. Add 1 or 2 tbsp of water if it is necessary. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped onion, curry leaves, ginger, asafetida and cumin seeds. Mix everything well. Add salt at the end before making vada. It helps to avoid extra moisture in the batter.
- Heat oil in a wide pan on medium flame. Now take a small size of mixture and slightly flatten it.
- Drop the vada in oil, deep fry on both sides, until the color changes and become crisp.
- Drain the excess oil on paper towel.
- Serve this yummy Paruppu vada for evening snack with cup of tea.
Buy on Amazon
Calories: 151 kcal | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Protein: 7 g | Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 0.1 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1 g | Sodium: 6 mg | Potassium: 174 mg | Fiber: 10 g | Sugar: 4 g | Vitamin A: 573 IU | Vitamin C: 193 mg | Calcium: 108 mg | Iron: 3 mg