No Yeast Bread
No yeast bread is a quick bread made typically in Ireland. No yeast bread uses curd and baking soda to make a quick bread without the requirement of rising time. Its slightly sour taste enhances the freshness of the bread and is best served with butter smeared at the top and a hot cup of coffee. It is also healthy as it uses a mix of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
- All purpose flour - 130 g
- Whole wheat flour - 130 g
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Curd - 150 ml
- Egg - 1 small
- Butter - 1tbsp
- Mix the flours, salt and baking soda together. Add the cold butter and mix with hand till the flour mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Beat the curd and egg together.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the egg-curd mixture.
- Knead a dough which is very soft but not excessively sticky.
- Press it into a medium sized disc. Brush the top with the egg-curd mixture.
- Make small slits at the four corners of the dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees C. Then lower the temperature to 175 and bake for another 15 minutes. Let it cool and slice to serve with butter and hot coffee or tea.
Dont knead the dough too much.