Moong Dal And Spinach Handvo
Serve a healthy moong dal and spinach handvo as an appetizer or starter by making mini squares or in muffin cups.
- 1 cup moong dal split moong dal/green grams with skin
- 2 cup spinach finely chopped, lightly packed
- ¼ cup spring onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds jeera
- ½ tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1-1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp soda bicarbonate baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp oil
- Oil for greasing
- Wash and soak the moong dal in warm water for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a square tray 8" X 8" or 16 muffin cups.
- Grind the soaked dal (with the skin) without any water into a paste, not too coarse or too fine.
- Add ginger, garlic, chili pastes, salt, sugar if you are using any, spinach, spring onion, yogurt, cinnamon, clove powders and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan over low heat. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for a bit.
- Add asafoetida. Immediately add the hot oil mixture into the moong dal mixture Add the soda bicarbonate and mix the mixture very well.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin or muffin cups, filling them ¾ full. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for muffin cups and 30-35 minutes for the tray. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Let the handvo cool in the muffin cups or the tray for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Take the pan off the heat.
- Remove the handvo from the cups or tray and arrange on a serving plate. Spoon a bit of the crackled mustard seeds on top of each handvo piece.
- Serve with a chutney of your choice or tomato ketchup.
- This is a good vegetarian option as its full of healthy dal and spinach.
- Add vegetables of your choice.
- Serve as a main dish along with some salad.
Buy on Amazon
Calories: 87 kcal | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Protein: 5 g | Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 0.3 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0.01 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 329 mg | Potassium: 52 mg | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 530 IU | Vitamin C: 2 mg | Calcium: 29 mg | Iron: 1 mg