Tomato Pappu is an integral.recipe of Andhra and Telangana region. 'Pappu' is the Telugu word for Dal. Hence the derivation 'Tomato Pappu' means when tomatoes and dal.are cooked together till a mushy texture is reached. The key factors of this recipe are the tomatoes and dal cooked together until mushy, the garlic tempering and a bit of ghee used in tempering. When having pappu with steamed rice , people enjoy adding a bit of ghee over the rice. As with any other recipe, there are a number of ways of cooking this recipe. Spinach or fenugreek leaves could also be added to the dal. Some like to pour the garlic tempering over the dal at the last stage. But personally I prefer to slightly saute garlic and then add the tomatoes and dal. By doing so, the garlic flavour mingles throughout the Pappu. Tomato Pappu is enjoyed when hot and served with steamed rice and ghee.
- 1/2 cup Toovar dal/Toor dal/Arhar dal/Split pigeon peas soaked in water for at least 20.minutes
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped or.pureed
- 2 green chillies; 3 to 4 curry leaves
- 3 -4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 to 1.5 cup water as required
- 1 tsp oil
- Around 1- 2 teaspoons thick tamarind extract
- FOR TEMPERING:
- 2 whole dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil/ghee
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- 1/2 coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Saute the sliced garlic till translucent
- Add tomato puree and saute for a few seconds. If using chopped tomatoes , then.just add the along with the soaked dal for boiling.
- Add water and ths soaked dal. Also add curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook the dal till it is mushy but not smooth and creamy.
- Once the dal is cooked, add salt and tamarind extract as needed. Adjust for thick consistency with hot water.
- For tempering heat oil or ghee in a pan
- Add.the mustard seeds.When seeds splutter, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Quickly add the whole dry chillies, coriander powder and red chilli powder to the oil and pour this oil tempering over the dal and cover it immediately.
- After sometime open lid , serve hot with rice and ghee