Tawa Whole Wheat Methi Naans
Delicious super soft naans with the wholesome goodness of wheat and fenugreek leaves. Enjoy these super soft, melt in mouth naans with your favourite gravies or kabaabs. These can be relished even in their own with a generous dollop of butter on them. The best part is that these are done on a tawa or a griddle with a lot of ease and comfort.
- Whole wheat flour 2 cups
- Yeast 2 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Fenugreek leaves chopped 1 cup
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Warm milk 3/4th cup
- Coriander leaves chopped 1/4th cup
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Red chilli flakes 2 tbsp
- Butter 1/2 cup
- Blackseeds 1 tbsp
- First of all add yeast and sugar to the warm milk and set it aside.
- It should be frothy as seen in the pic. If your yeast does not become frothy, discard it and make a new mix. It also smells at this stage. It is a necessary step. Proving of the yeast is important.
- Combine the flour, salt, oil, fenugreek leaves and red chilli flakes along with the black seeds in a big bowl and mix them all well. Make a well in the center and pour this yeast mix little by little and knead a soft dough.
- The dough looks like this. Cover it up with a wet muslin cloth and keep it in a dark place in the kitchen, preferably your oven and let it double. This is how it looks after 2 hours.
- Punch the dough well to release the excess air from it and start making the naan. Just see how it puffs up. Flame should be on low to medium only. When done on one side, flip it over to the other side and cook.
- Make all the naans in any shape you prefer and enjoy with your family.
- Apply some butter on the freshly prepared naans and enjoy with any side dish of your choice. I made some chicken seekh kabaabs to go with them.
Always roast them on a low to medium flame but make sure that the griddle is quite hot. Maintain the temperature throughout. It is very important because these are being done on a tawa.