Vatha Kulambu / Srirangam Vatha Kuzhambu
Vatha Kulambu / Vatha Kuzhambu is the tangy and spicy kuzhambu of Tamil nadu with heavenly taste. Nothing could equalise the taste of Vatha kuzhambu as the side dish for Curd rice. Usually We relish Vatha kuzhambu rice by adding a tea spoon of gingelly / sesame oil to hot steaming rice and mix vatha kuzhambu with the rice. Roasted Pappad is the best combo for this. Every society of Tamil nadu has its own version of making vatha Kuzhambu. Sri Rangam vatha kuzhambu is known for its special flavour and unique taste...
- Tamarind extract from a large Lemon size Tamarind 4 cups
- Baby Onions / Chinna Vengayam or Drum stick pieces Optional
- Jaggery a goose berry size
- Sesame / Gingelly Oil 100 ml
- For tempering:
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Asafoetida / Hing powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Red chillies 2
- Curry leaves few
- For Vatha Kuzhambu Powder:_x000D_ _x000D_ Dry roast following items one by one in a pan to golden brown and powder them together ( Except Roasted Fenugreek) to fine powder after they cool down._x000D_ _x000D_ Fenu greek 2 t. spoons .Dry roast to golden brown and powder it
- Coriander Seeds 4 t spoons_x000D_ Red chillies 6_x000D_ Pepper corns 2 t spoons_x000D_ Cumin seeds 1 t spoon_x000D_ Thur dal 2 t. spoons_x000D_ Chana dal / Kadalai paruppu 2 t.spoons_x000D_ Raw rice 1 t.spoon_x000D_ Urad dal 2 t..spoons_x000D_ Curry leaves hand ful (Washed neatly and wiped)
- Heat a pan with 3/4 th of the oil mentioned._x000D_ Add mustard seeds, red chillies, asafoetida. Once they splutter add the curry leaves._x000D_ Now fry the baby onions / drumstick pieces in it for 2 minutes._x000D_ Add the powdered Fenugreek / venthaya powder tot he frying onions and stir.
- Pour the tamarind juice in to it._x000D_ Add salt, turmeric powder and jagerry.
- Allow them to boil till the onions / drumsticks become soft._x000D_ Add the Vatha Kuzhambu powder to the boiling stuff and mix well._x000D_ Wait till the kuzhambu thickens.
- Finally add the remaining oil tot he boiling stuff and switch off the stove.
Instead of adding onions or drumstick you can also add fried Sun dried Turkey berry / Sundaikkai Vathal finally to the Vatha kuzhambu.