Sesame Rice | Ellu Sadam | Til Rice
Ellu Sadam or Sesame Rice is a traditional Karnataka dish especially made during festivals. In this dish cooked rice is mixed with a spicy powder made primarily using sesame seeds. Ellu Sadam is a traditional dish offered to the gods. Sankranti is celebrated with joy in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu and Ellu Sadam is certainly prepared on this day to add more cheer to the festivals.
- Cooked Rice â€“ 1 Â½ cup
- Sesame Seeds / Til â€“ Â½ cup
- Curry Leaves â€“ Â¼ cup
- Chana Dal / Split Chickpeas â€“ 3 tsp
- Urad Dal / Black Gram â€“ 3 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies â€“ 7 to 8 small Less Spicy
- Oil â€“ 2 tablespoon
- Asafetida / Hing â€“ Â½ tsp
- Salt â€“ Â½ tsp
- Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee â€“ 2 tsp
- Cashew for garnishing â€“ as required
- In a preheated pan take 3 tsp of Chana Dal, 3 tsp of Urad Dal, few small less spicy Dry Red Chillies, ½ cup of Sesame Seeds (Til), 7 to 8 Curry Leaves and roast for 4 to 5 min or until light brown and gets aroma.
- Then allow the mixture to cool down completely and then grind into fine powder.
- In another preheated pan, take 2 tablespoon of Oil, ½ tsp of Hing, few Curry Leaves, 1 ½ cup of boiled and cooked Rice and ½ tsp of Salt, blended Sesame Seeds powder and mix well for 3 to 4 Min.
- Lastly add 2 tsp of Ghee and mix well.
- Garnish with some Cashews (Kaju) and serve hot.
- Add dry Chillies as per your taste can reduce the quantity.
- Add Desi Ghee more if needed, as it would taste best.
No comments yet
Aalag Aalag hai Swaad sabhi ka, Aalag aalag hai Khana, Vishva Bhar mai Sarvashreth hai, Swaad humare Bharat ka..!!
Wow!! Something different and very healthy option. Looks mouthwatering and greatly presented also.
Healthy bhi and tasty bhi..!!
Big time fan of sesame :). Love to try this
Superb healthier one