Saffron Rice Using Jaggery
Vasant Panchmi marks goodbye to winters and welcomes the vibrant Spring season. Lovely festival of Vasant Panchmi symbolises livelinessâ€¦.brilliance of natureâ€¦.when flowers are in full bloom spreading joy and happiness. This is the day to worship Goddess of wisdom, intellect and learningâ€¦ Goddess Saraswati. On the auspicious day of Vasant Panchmi, I pray to Goddess Saraswati that the desire of learning continues to simmer in all of us throughout our lives. May we keep enriching ourself by learning something or the other, irrespective of our age. Let us offer Meethe chawal (sweet rice) to Maa Saraswati and seek her Blessings.
- 1/2 Cup Rice Uncooked Or 2 Cup Boiled Rice
- 3/4 Cup Sugar/Jaggery powder
- 1 Tbsp Clarified Butter Ghee
- 2 piece Clove Laung
- 1/4 â€³ Cinnamon stick Dalchini
- 1 Black Cardamom Badi Elaichi
- 2 or 3 tsp Milk
- 3-4 Strands Saffron kesar
- A pinch Yellow colour optional
- For Garnishing 1 Tbsp Roasted and Slivered almonds cashews, 1 Tbsp Raisins, Chopped Pistachio, 1 Tbsp Desiccated coconut ( optional )
- Soak rice for an hour or so.
- Take 4 cups water in a vessel, add clove, cardamom and cinnamon stick and put it to boil, when the water starts boiling add soaked and drained rice.
- Simmer the gas and let the rice cook. After 8-10 minutes, when the rice gets boiled, strain it by putting it in a colander.
- Remove whole spices from the rice.
- Now, For Sweet Rice Take milk in a cup, add saffron and muddle it to extract the beautiful yellow colour of saffron. Keep it aside.
- Take boiled rice in a pan and add jaggery powder, clarified butter, yellow colour and saffron milk mixture to the boiled rice. Toss very lightly, cover and leave for 5-7 minutes.
- After about 5 minutes, jaggery will dissolve.
- Cover and cook on sim gas for 10-15 minutes till water evaporates and rice becomes dry. 6.
- Garnish this with roasted slivered almonds, cashews, pistachio etc. and desiccated coconut. Offer it to Goddess Saraswati. Serve with pleasure.
NOTES 1. If using boiled rice, then skip the steps to boil rice. 2. Add jaggery/sugar etc to the boiled rice while the rice is hot.