Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
This is a delicious and nutritious recipe seasoned with a dash of balsamic vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper. This dish maybe more of a side than a main but is quite filling nonetheless. The balsamic vinegar adds a touch of sweetness to the overall savory peppers and keeps the flavors light.
- 2 bell peppers large, cored and seeded, tops removed and reserved
- 2 cup quinoa cooked
- 5 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 an onion finely chopped
- 1 cup spinach finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp almonds or walnuts, finely chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 Degree Fahrenheit.
- Add quinoa and water in cooking pot and cook till quinoa is cooked well.
- Cover a baking tray with foil and lay pepper tops and bottom. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile take a medium size pan, over heat it, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, thyme, garlic, onions, and spinach.
- Cook for a few minutes until spinach is tender. Turn the heat off and add white wine vinegar.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add quinoa, almonds, tomatoes, coriander leaves and celery and combine well.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and balsamic vinegar, stir well and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper with the mixture and top with pepper lid. Serve warm.
Recipe developed for quinoaguru.com by Donna George – A happy Home-maker and mother to a 3 year old is a passionate foodie and culinary blogger. She blogs at The Culinary Trail Hailing from God’s own country, Kerala; she lives in Bangalore with her husband and little daughter. Turning her passion for food into a profession, she is currently a Freelance Recipe Developer and Editor.
Calories: 724 kcal | Carbohydrates: 123 g | Protein: 28 g | Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 191 mg | Potassium: 1486 mg | Fiber: 16 g | Sugar: 8 g | Vitamin A: 5631 IU | Vitamin C: 171 mg | Calcium: 158 mg | Iron: 10 mg