Moong Dal Khichdi – Best Homemade
- Moong dal/ Hesaru bele - 1/2 cup or 1/2 pavu
- Rice - 1/2 cup or 1/2 pavu
- Water - 3 Cups
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
- Cumin/jeera - 1 tbsp
- Black pepper/mensu - 1 tbsp
- Green chillies - 4-5
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Cashew - 7-8
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Channa dal - 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida/Hing - pinch
- Ginger chopped/paste - 1/4 tbsp
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - Few drops
- In a frying pan, dry roast the rice and moong dal in a low flame for 3-4 minutes
- Pressure cook the roasted rice and moong dal by adding 3 cups of water in a medium flame till 2 whistle.
- Once pressure is out from cooker, keep it aside and let it cool.
- In a while, heat oil and ghee in a deep kadhai/pan followed by adding mustard seeds, chana dal, cumin seeds, black pepper, green chillies, curry leaves, cashews and fry for few minutes until cashews turns little golden brown colour.
- Next add asafoetida, turmeric powder, chopped ginger and fry for 1 minute.
- Next add cooked rice - moong dal mixture to it with adding 1 cup of water and salt. Blend well with spices in a medium flame for 5-10 minutes.
- If khichdi becomes thick add more water as required, along with water check and add salt as per taste.
- Always khichdi should be watery because khichdi tends to get thicker as it cools down.
- Atlast add few drops of lemon juice, grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot topped up with ghee/ butter, Curd.
- Serve immedialtly when it is hot.
- Moong dal observes lot of water, so prepare using more water.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or topped with ghee.