Marwari Chickpeas Raw Mango Pickle (Keri Chane Ka Achaar)
Marwar is full of colors, flavors & rich culture. Marwaris are among the major business classes in India & as their culture, they serve the richest food with loads of love(Manvaaar) in big Thalis. I personally love exploring different taste & culture being a traveler. On my last visit to Rajasthan I learned this amazing recipe from the colorful state which I am sharing here..Its edgy & crunchy with mix flavors.. Since summers are here & everybody is busy making pickles add one more Jar to your kitchen shelf with this Authentic marwari Keri Chane ka Achaar.
- 1/2 kg Chickpeas Garbanzo beans or Chole or white Chana
- 250 gms pealed grated Raw mango
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp Yellow mustard seeds Rai or Sarson
- 2 tbsp Fennel seeds Saunf
- 3 tbsp Turmeric powder Haldi
- 2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds Methi dana
- 2-3 dried red chili roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Hing
- 1 tbsp Nigella seeds Lonji
- 6 spoons mustard oil Sarson ka tel
- 2 tbsp salt or add to taste
- Soak Chickpeas over night in water.
- Next morning wash them 2-3 times under running water properly & rinse them. Spread it over a cloth for drying. Make sure to wipe out all the moisture before you proceed for Tadka
- Now take the grated raw mangoes, add salt to it & keep it aside.
- After an hour, squeeze out all the moisture from mangoes & let it try over a cloth for half an hour.
- Now in a pan dry roast the spices (except Turmeric powder & chili) & coarsely grind them.
- Now heat the oil in a big wok till smoke, then put off the gas. Now add all the ingredients in the oil with dried chickpeas & mangoes. Mix them well till all the spices are coated on chickpeas & mangoes.
- Now take a sterilized jar, should be completely dry. Pour the mixture in the jar.
- Top it with more smoked oil if required. The mixture should completely dipped in oil.
- Keep it in sun for 2 days & consume it after 2 weeks whenever & with whatever you want.
- You can consume this pickle for 2 years if stored in favorable condition without moisture.
- Always keep it topped with oil other wise it will produce fungus.
- Dont let any moisture in chickpeas & raw mangoes in the making process.