Marinara Sauce Home Style
I always want to use home made sauce for pasta. Whether it is red sauce or white sauce. Whatever brand you buy from market, the fresh flavours of herbs are mind blowing. Today I am sharing Italian Marinara sauce. Traditionally the key ingredients to this sauce are Italian Red Plum Tomatoes, yellow onion, garlic and Italian herbs and kosher salt. But I have given it a twist by adding charred grilled red bell pepper. It gives a smoky flavor to the marinara sauce and my family loves it. Along with it I have added carrots to bring natural sweetness to the marinara sauce.
- Plum red fat tomatoes- Â½ kg or canned tomatoes
- White or yellow onion- 1 medium size
- Carrot diced- 1
- Garlic â€“ 3 fat pods chopped
- Roasted red bel l pepper - 1 medium sized rinse to discard the charred skin maximum
- Dry oregano- 1 tspn
- Dry thyme- 1 tspn
- Kosher salt- 1 tspn
- Brown sugar optional
- Olive oil- 2 tblspn
- If using fresh tomatoes then blanch it to soften. Peel off the skin and chop to chunks. If using canned then just peel of the skin.
- Heat a pan and pour oil. Add onion, garlic, carrots, thyme , oregano and salt.
- Stir it for 2 mins then add chopped roasted bell pepper. If it remains with charred skin, do not bother. It will not harm the flavor. Stir till everything is soft. Do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes with its juices. Cook covered in slow fire. I have added ½ tspn of Kashmiri chili powder for colour. Keep stirring in between.
- Cook till it is soft. With the hand blender puree it to your desired consistency. If you like the chunks leave it half done.
- Cool and transfer it to the glass jar. Top it with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Since there is not preservative used, its shelf life is only 5 days.