May it be Pav bhaji, Dabeli ,Vada Pav or any street food. All are incomplete without a Soft & Spongy Pav buns! Do you agree with me ? Today I thought of sharing a simple recipe to make Pav buns at home , I’ve attached a video and also explained some tips and tricks to make perfect Pav recipe, so checkout Notes section and lets start baking our Ladi Pav ..!
Yield / Serves
Instant Dry Yeast 1 Tsp / 6g
Warm water 1/4th cup or 100 ml
Sugar to proof yeast 1 TBSP / 15g
To make Dough : (1 Cup = 240 ml)
Plain Flour/maida/all purpose flour : 300g or 2 cups
Corn Flour : 50 g or 1/2 cup
Warm milk : 1 - 1.5 cups depends on the Flour
Sugar : 3 TBSP
Butter : 1 Tsp / oil 15 ml
For perfect Ladi pav , measure all the ingredients as mentioned above and checkout notes section for more details about consistency.
Take Luke warm water but not too hot water , Add yeast and sugar in mentioned quantities and stir very well. Rest aside for 5-8 mins. Yeast should be well raised before adding to the dough. For perfect proofing of yeast check out notes section.
sift cornflour and Maida/All purpose flour together in a bowl , add sugar and mix well
Add proofed yeast and mix the dough, dough might be very sticky at this point.
start adding milk in batches and just keep mixing the dough with milk until you feel dough is sticky and moist enough.
Once a sticky dough is formed , dust the working table with All purpose flour and start kneading the dough as shown in video ,yes the dough is very very sticky don't worry just knead the dough for 8-10 mins .
You can use electric hand blender or kitchen aid on a medium speed for quick results. After kneading for 10 mins, add butter or oil and start kneading again till the butter/oil is well mixed with the dough ,it may take around 4-5 minutes.
Once the dough is mixed well with oil/butter its should be very less sticky and soft but not dry, if you feel the dough is dry add some milk and knead for 2 mins.
Grease the dough with oil and place it in a Greased bowl . Rest the dough for 45 mins to 1 hour at warm place (temp: 25 -30 degrees ).
After 45 mins dough would have doubled in size , punch the dough and cut into equal portions to make buns.
start tucking the dough and make round balls, take a greased pan and place all round balls next to each other with little space in between, Apply some milk gently cover this again and rest for 45 mins , dough will be raised in desired shape.
In the video milk is applied once the dough is raised in desired shape , we can do it either ways.
Preheat the Oven at 180 deg C/350 F and then bake the buns for 15-20 mins at 180 degrees C/350 deg F.
This is the most important step to make pav buns soft , once the pav buns are golden brown and completely baked take out from oven , brush some butter and close it with some thin cloth and a foil paper. check notes to know why
Once they are completely cooled down , take out from the pan and pav buns are ready to serve.
Perfect way to proof Yeast:
- Water has to be luke warm, do a test to know the right temprature. Just dip your finger in warm water and see if its not too cold in few seconds or its not to hot that you cant keep finger more than 10 seconds.
- Adding too hot water to yeast kills yeast and doesnt proof
- If the yeast doesn’t proof well then do not use it for the dough, proof yeast freshly.
- Yeast needs Sugar to proof ,do not forget to add sugar while proofing .
Perfect way to know the dough consistency :
- Once you start mixing the dough make sure dough is quiet sticky and soggy but not runny or dry
- at the beginning dough tends to be sticky,once you start kneading Gluten is formed this gives the structure to the bun.
- After kneading dough for 10 mins continously ,take a portion of the dough and try to streach it. If the dough doesn’t tear quickly and if you feel the elasticity then stop kneading the dough and add oil/butter at this stage.
- Final kneaded dough surface should look soft and shiny .
- If using the hand blender or kitchen aid , knead the dough for 6-7 mins and check for the consistency . Add oil/butter and agian knead till everything is well comined.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Rated 4 based on 1 votes
Be the first to rate this post.
Share on pinterest
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
bimonthly buns for dabeli buns for pav bhaji buns for vada pav dinner rolls eggless buns eggless dinner rolls eggless ladi pav eggless pav eggless spongy buns honeypot honeypot plattershare honeypot recipes indian food indian street food ladi pav milk buns pav pav buns pav for pav bhaji simple dinner rolls Soft eggless ladi pav