Eggplant is a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B1, and copper. It is a good source of manganese, vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. Eggplant also contains phytonutrients such as nasunin and chlorogenic acid.
Homestyle Eggplant Curry - Kerala Style is a dish that I learnt from my mum. A very simple dish which is just perfect for a cold rainy day - it warms you up with all the spices and the richness from the coconut milk. It is super easy is to make, yet has all the flavors and warmth of a traditional Kerala dish.
Ingredients & Quantity
- 2 Medium size purple eggplant, finely chopped (use the regular small eggplant and not the ones used for baingan bhartha) [you could also use the long green eggplant]
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Big onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 Green chilis, slit lengthwise (use as per spice tolerance)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tablespoon Kashmiri or hot chili powder (use as per spice tolerance)
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds (in case you don't have fennel seeds you could use cumin seeds)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Ground fenugreek
- 1 Big tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Thick coconut milk
- Coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped (optional)
Post Cabbage Recipes from 24th Apr to 30th Apr 2017 and get an Amazon Gift Voucher worth INR 250/- (if from India) or worth USD 5 (if outside India)
'Recipe theme of the week'