Deep fried cauliflower fritters that are super crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and loaded with flavors of ginger, garlic, onions and cilantro. Street vendors serve this up as a precursor appetizer to gobi manchurian!
- 2 cup cauliflower florets gobi
- ¼ cup red onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 chili large green, finely chopped or jalapeno/serrano
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic large, grated
- 6 to 8 tbsp chickpea flour besan
- 5 to 7 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp red chili powder or cayenne powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp asafetida hing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves for garnishing
- Lemon wedges optional
- Ketchup or green coriander chutney for dipping
- Chop cauliflower into medium-sized florets. Add finely chopped onions, green chilies, grated ginger and garlic, finely chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, red chili powder, Kashmiri chili powder, hing, and turmeric powder.
- Mix well
- Stir in chickpea flour or besan, rice flour and salt to taste. Sprinkle water over the mixture and give it a good mix (using nature's tool, your hands!).Adjust the amount of besan, rice flour or water to get a good coating of the gobi florets.
- Leave aside to marinade for about 5 to 10 minutes (optional; if you are in a hurry, you can fry them right away too).
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Once the oil is hot, drop the flour and spice coated florets in batches and deep fry on medium high heat until crisp, golden and cooked through. Keep flipping the florets around in the oil. Do not over crowd the pan.
- Remove to an oil-absorbent paper towel lined plate. Deep fry a few curry leaves in the end to a crisp texture. Transfer the spicy gobi fries/kurkuri to a serving plate, garnish with coriander leaves/ fried curry leaves and serve hot!
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon/lime juice and some dip like ketchup or green coriander chutney.
Calories: 112 kcal | Carbohydrates: 21 g | Protein: 5 g | Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 0.2 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.3 g | Sodium: 42 mg | Potassium: 368 mg | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 4 g | Vitamin A: 479 IU | Vitamin C: 47 mg | Calcium: 33 mg | Iron: 1 mg