Goat Spleen Stir-Fry / Manneral Vathakkal
Goat Spleen so called as Manneral or suvarvoti (suvar means wall, voti means sticking, when you throw on wall it sticks to the wall so the name: P ) in tamil, is prepared commonly among Tamilians, because of its health benefits. This Manneral boosts energy, helps in increasing the hemoglobin content and so my mom use to prepare this very often. During childhood, my mom force to have this because of tis health benefits, but now I am ok with it. This dish tastes good, and the texture â€“ Manneral has a little chewy texture, but melts in mouth (depends on the time spend for cooking). Let us move on to the recipeâ€¦
- â€¢Manneral / Suvarroti / Goat Spleen â€“ 2 nos
- â€¢Cumin seeds â€“ Â¼ tsp
- â€¢Mustard seeds â€“ Â¼ tsp
- â€¢Curry leaves â€“ a sprig
- â€¢Cumin powder â€“ 1 tsp
- â€¢Pepper powder â€“ Â¾ tsp
- â€¢Chili powder â€“ Â¼ tsp
- â€¢Small / Pearl Onions â€“ 30 nos
- â€¢Salt to taste
- â€¢Oil â€“ 2 tbsp
- â€¢Peel and chop the onions to fine pieces.
- â€¢Clean and roughly chop the spleen/manneral roughly into small pieces (be sure the pieces should be small, so that it will easy to eat for kids and will be cooked soon).
- â€¢Heat oil in a kadai, add in mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves, wait until they crackle
- â€¢Add in the onions and cook until they turn golden brown.
- â€¢Add in the spleen/manneral pieces and sprinkle all the spice powders along with the required quantity of salt.
- â€¢Cover and cook in medium flame for few mins, continue stirring once in every 5 mins.
- â€¢Remove the lid, when cooked and transfer it to a bowl and cover with the lid, so that the aroma does not escape.
- Serve hot. Goes out well with steamed rice and any curry or with steamed rice and any other stir-fry.
Note: Do use small/pearl onions since it adds more taste, flavor and additional health benefits for the dish. When you don’t have small/pearl onions, you can substitute it with big onions. Do not over cook, because it would turn chewy and hard.