Eggplant In Spiced Yogurt | Dahi Baingan | Doi Begun
Almost in every state of India, you can find different variety of this dish. They have their own style of making doi begun or dahi baingan. So this is a recipe where you can do a lot of combination. Basically the brinjal or baingan or begun are sliced neither thick nor thin. Then they are cooked & topped with a spicy flovured yogurt. Also some tempering of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilies in oil is added to this dish. But here in this recipe, I have not used the tempering part. The yogurt used here gives the cooling effect. The taste is wonderful and goes very well as a side dish with rice or paratha. This recipe is very sophisticated but very simple to make. So lets see the method of preparation !
- Brinjal / eggplant medium 2 no.
- Yogurt 1 cup
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Red chili powder Â½ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp
- Chat masala 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves For garnishing
- Salt As needed
- First wash properly and then cut the brinjals or baingans or eggplants or begun into about 1 cm thick round slices.
- Marinate those slices with turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Heat a pan and shallow fry the brinjal slices with a drizzle of oil.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, take yogurt. Add in roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, chat masala. Beat well.
- Arrange the shallow fried brinjal slices in a serving plate and top with flavored yogurt.
- Sprinkle some roasted cumin powder & red chili powder, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot !
- Some tempering (oil, cumin seed, mustard seed, curry leaves and dry red chili) can also be added to yogurt.
- Prefer to serve these doi begun or dahi baingan hot.