Easy Chickpeas Salad – Healthy, Vegan And A Filling Treat!
Sundays are always busy days for me â€“ trying out new recipes, cooking elaborate dishes, rushing to the library to pick up cookbooks, etc. However, for a change, this Sunday I made the easy chickpeas salad as I wanted to make something quick and healthy for my daughter and her friend. Moreover, I wanted to introduce nutritious salads to them. Chickpeas are versatile and protein rich lentils. A variety of dishes can be made with these, like chickpeas pulao, chickpeas curry (the famous â€˜kabooli chanaâ€™ from North India) and chickpeas (and soya) cutlets. Chickpeas salad can be savored in the morning as a breakfast dish, or a side dish during the afternoon meal or as a filling snack in the evenings.
- 2 cups chickpeas kabooli chana soaked and boiled with salt
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 medium sized tomato
- Â½ - 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- A pinch of black salt or salt
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight (for 6-8 hours) Ensure the water level is well above the chickpeas level.
- Boil the chickpeas in water in which a teaspoon of salt is added. Ensure the chickpeas are boiled until soft. I boiled it in a cooker until 5-6 whistles were let out.
- Cool the chickpeas and drain off the water. Keep it aside for around 30 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add finely chopped onion and tomato to the bowl.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on it and some black salt on it. Incase black salt is not easily available, the staple cooking salt can be used. Toss this salad well and serve as a morning or evening snack.
Ensure the boiled chickpeas are completely drained of water and kept aside for half an hour.