Dal Maat (Amaranthus And Red Lentils)
This simple yet flavourful dish is a regular feature in my maternal house. Easy to make with most simple pantry staples,it sure is a lovely one. Enjoy it with rice or rotis with a generous dollop of pure desi ghee on top. As such Amaranthus is rich in protiens much more than any other grains,helps in lowering cardio vascular diseases and even with hair loss and greying. High in Calcium,this one is surely a boon and when combined with red lentils,it becomes a bonus because red lentils boosts our energy levels,lowers blood sugar levels and prevents cancer too. Overall, a healthy side dish to serve your family. Happy Cooking!
- Pluck only the leaves from the bunch of amaranthus. Wash them pretty well.
- Chop them roughly and set aside
- Wash the red lentils too and soak in 2 cups of drinking water for about 15 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil, add asafoetida and saute chopped onion with ginger garlic paste until translucent.
- Add the spices now along with the chopped tomatoes.Cover and saute until tender.
- Now add the roughly chopped amaranthus leaves.
- Saute for 2 minutes and then add the soaked lentils along with the water.
- Add salt and chopped coriander. Cover and simmer on medium high heat until done for almost 12-15 minutes. Red lentils get cooked very easily and does not require much time. Keep an eye and switch off the flame once it is done.
- Add a dollop of ghee in the centre just before serving for that aromatic dal full of subtle flavours.