Colocasia Chutney /Gojju
Colocasia leaf chutney or gojju tasty, tangy, spicy and flavored with garlic. Kesuvina yele is kannada name.Colocasia contains good amount of antioxidants. Varieties of dishes like patrode,sambhar, chutney,dosa,cutlet are prepared in different regions of India using its leaves. Today I am sharing south canara special household recipe , yummy Colocasia leaves chutney / gojju.
- Colocasia leaves - 6-8
- Tamarind - 1 big lemon size
- Bird eye chilli / green chilli - 10- 12
- Jaggery - 1 piece your taste
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Grated fresh coconut - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 4-6 cloves
- Coconut oil - 2 spoons
- Mustard - 1/4 spoon
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Jeera seeds -little optional
- Byadagi chilli - 2
- Asafoetida - 4 pinch / 1/4 spoon
- Clean and washed Colocasia leaves, tamarind,salt, Bird eye chilli or green chilli and 1 cup water and cook them. Leaves color changes when it is ready.Let it is cool.
- Take a mixer jar,add the cooled leaves, coconut.Grind into fine paste.
- Prepare seasoning, Heat the kadai,add coconut oil, crushed garlic, mustard,jeera seeds, byadagi chilli, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add grinded mixture to the seasoning.
- Add turmeric powder and jaggery to it and boil it nicely.
Some of the Colocasia varieties are irritant to tongue . To avoid this they need to be cooked wel with tamarind and jaggery.