Chole is famous Indian street food and snack and the combination of chole bhuture (Indian Bread) need no description. This is a completely vegan dish and rich in protein due to its main ingredient chickpeas. Locally called as Chana masala or Chole, this dish is made in thick onion gravy and is served with Kulcha, Lachcha paratha or puri. Let's learn how to make Chana masala or Punjabi Chole recipe
Ingredients for boiling Chana
- 1 cup Chick peas Chana/chickpeas/ Chole / White Channa / Safed Channa 250 grams
- 3 cup Water for Soaking
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda Optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 cup Water for boiling
Ingredients for Chana Masala Gravy
- 1/2 cup Onion paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Ingredients for Chana Masala Powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Black cardamom
- 4 Green cardamom
- 4 Clove
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 12 Black Pepper corn
- 1 tsp pomegranate seeds dried, optional
- 1 tsp Couscous
- 1/2 tsp Carom seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chili
For Garnishing Chole
- coriander leaves freshly chopped , for sprinkling
- 2 Green chili slit
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Soaking Chana/ Chickpeas / Chole - .Soak the Dry Kabuli chana/ garbanzo beans overnight in 3 cups of water. The volume of soaked chickpeas would increase to 2 cups.
- Boiling chickpeas: Add bay leaves, salt, cinnamon stick, black cardamom and baking soda(optional) to chickpeas. Pressure cook chickpeas with 2.5 cups of water for a 3-5 whistle or 10 minutes.
- This ensures the slight natural black color to chickpeas without adding the teabags to get black color.
- Roasting chana masala spice: dry roast bay leaves, black cardamom, green cardamom, clove, coriander seeds, black peppercorn, Couscous, dried pomegranate seeds (optional), carom seeds and dried red whole chilies. Roast till the aroma starts coming.
- Set aside and let it cool down completely. Once it cools down, coarsely grind it in the food processor.
- Prepare Chole Masala gravy: Heat vegetable oil in a wok/kadhai and add onion paste ( grind the onions separately), stir it continuously so that it starts leaving oil and turns slightly brown. it would take around 15 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste. Grind them in food processor separately or using mortar and pestle. You can also use the store-bought ginger-garlic paste.
- Once the aroma goes off, add turmeric powder, stir it once and add boiled chickpeas / channa.
- Let it simmer on low flame for 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of freshly ground chana masala powder. Rest of the masala can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 month and be used next time.
- Stir it and add the same water which was used for boiling the chana. Add extra water in case you want it too watery. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes
- Garnish it with a tablespoon of ghee, coriander leaves and silted green chilli.
- Serve hot Punjabi chole with Amritsari Kulcha, lachha paratha or Poori. You can also serve it with streamed basmati Rice.
- Canned chickpeas available in the market can be used for this recipe but soaking dry Kabuli chana overnight is an economical and healthier option
- Water which is used for soaking can be used for boiling too but it can be thrown away as sometimes it starts smelling and may cause gastric problems.
- In case dried pomegranate seeds are not available to use store-bought Dried mango powder (Amchur Powder) or Lemon.
- In case you don’t feel like making the fresh chana masala powder, check for the chana masala brands like MDH.
- Chole Capsicum Masala
- Aloo Tikki Chole
- Methi CholeAchaari Paneer Chole Recipe
- Adraki Kabuli Chole
- Chickpeas Kebab
Calories: 519 kcal | Carbohydrates: 50 g | Protein: 12 g | Fat: 33 g | Saturated Fat: 12 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9 g | Trans Fat: 1 g | Cholesterol: 38 mg | Sodium: 425 mg | Potassium: 693 mg | Fiber: 16 g | Sugar: 10 g | Vitamin A: 499 IU | Vitamin C: 80 mg | Calcium: 187 mg | Iron: 7 mg
Homechef Geeta Biswas Visit Profile / Website
In collaboration with