Chocolate Valentine Cookies
Cookies are perfect for any occasions. These melt-in-the-mouth cookies were made especially for my husband on Valentines Day. These cookies are so easy to make and of course with my favorite flavor of chocolate. The icing or glaze used as topping is an easy version which is not royal icing but close to and made by simple powdered sugar. Try these cookies this Valentines Day and have them with your cup of coffee or tea with your valentine.
- 3 cup plain flour Maida
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp espresso optional
- 2 egg room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup Sugar or add 1/2 cup more for sweeter flavor
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract/imitation vanilla
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 tsp corn syrup/honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Few drops of food colour as per choice
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, espresso, and cocoa powder.
- Beat butter and sugar till light, creamy and fluffy (about 3 minutes) with a hand held mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well before adding the next.
- Add vanilla and beat again to incorporate it in the mixture.
- Combine flour with wet mixture in three parts (not all in one go). Beat again. Scrape the sides well and make a mixture.
- Transfer to a clean surface and knead to get it together. Cover with cling film and chill the dough for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 Deg F (180 Deg C). Line baking tray with non stick parchment paper.
- Roll the dough in 1/8" thick round shape and cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters or any bottle lids.
- Transfer the cookies on baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes. Rotate the tray midway through baking time.
- Let them cool on baking sheet for sometime and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing: Combine all ingredients for glaze with a whisk till its smooth except the food color. Divide the glaze in different bowls and add food colors of your choice.
- Take a ziploc bag. Fill it with the glaze. Snipe of small end of the bag and use it as piping bag. Decorate as you wish. Spread the icing with toothpick. Before adding another colored glaze wait for few minutes so the earlier glaze sets.
Sifting flour prevents cookies from drying out and makes them lighter. If unsalted butter is unavailable, skip the salt and use salted butter.