Chilka Moong Dal [ Split Green Gram] Mix With Spinach
Green moong dal & spinach both are well known veg super foods. Indian meals are incomplete without dal[lentils] specially moog dal is famous amongst those who are on a weight reduction regime. Green moong is very low in carb & high in protein & fibre .Addition of spinach is a bonus to already present nutrients. Here is how i mix & prepare this health packed dish...
- Green Moong dal :1cup
- Spinach Roughly Chopped : 2 cups
- Ginger Finally Chopped : 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Finally Choppes : 1tbsp
- Dried Red Chili : 1-2
- Green Chillies to taste
- Cumin Seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Mustard Oil : 1tbsp
- Ghee as per taste
- Wash & soak dal for 30 min. In a pressure cooker take dal, palak, ginger, green chili & salt with 2 1/2 cup of water. Cook on high flame until 1st whistle. Cook on medium flame till next three whistle. Switch off the gas & let the pressure release.
- Open pressure cooker & mix dal well with a laddle. Add some lukewarm water if it is too thick & cook on medium flame for 2-3 min until dal comes to a boil.
- Now prepare tadka. In a pan heat mustard oil. Add asafoetida & cumin seeds. Once cumin seeds stops spluttering add garlic & dried red chili..Cook till garlic turns golden brown.
- Pour immediately over dal & cover. Open lid after 5-6 min. This will infuse tadka flavor into dal.Serve hot with rice & top it up with ghee.
- You can prepare tadka in ghee too. but I like mustard oil flavor so I make all my tadkas in it.
- You can also add tomato or whole dried mango slices while boiling dal for additional flavor.