Chicken & Oats Haleem
Haleem...the mere names makes our taste buds salivating. A gastronomical delight from the land of Nizam's, Hyderabad. This is the simplified version of much loved and adored recipe. Do try this out...I am sure you gonna love it....
- 300 gms. minced Chicken
- 150 gms. Chana dal
- 150 gms. Urad dal
- 150 gms. yellow Moong dal
- 150 gms. Wheat Rava/Dalia
- 150 gms. Oats
- 1 tbsp. whole Black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. Black pepper powder
- 1 big Onion finely sliced
- 500 ml. Chicken Stock
- 100 gms. thick Yogurt/Curd
- 2 tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. Garam Masala
- Ã‚Â½ tbsp. Coriander powder
- Ã‚Â½ tbsp. Jeera/Cumin powder
- 3 Cardamom 3 1Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ pieces of Cinnamon and 3 Cloves
- Ã‚Â½ cup Ghee/Oil
- 4 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 5 Green chills
- 1 cup fresh Coriander leaves
- Ã‚Â½ cup Mint leaves
- MARINATION & OVERNIGHT PREPARATION:_x000D_ _x000D_ Beat yogurt with ½ tbsp. black pepper powder, salt and ½ tbsp. ginger-garlic paste. Add chicken/mutton pieces to this and mix well. Leave this marinade in the refrigerator for 3-4 hrs. covering with plastic film. Best if left the marinated chicken overnight.
- Dry roast moong dal till raw smell disappears and leaves it to cool. Upon cooling wash and soak themoong dal along with chana dal and urad dal, but each separately in different bowls with enough water for 4-5 hrs. or overnight.
- Now dry roast oats on low flame for 2-3 minutes and leave to cool.Upon cooling grind to fine powder and set aside.
- Check wheat rava/dalia for any dust particles and wash thoroughly. Add enough water and soak it overnight or at least for 4-5 hrs. before cooking.
- PREPARATION:_x000D_ Grind and make a fine paste of green chills, coriander and mint leaves. Set aside. Discard water from the soaked dals and rinse with fresh water. Add the dals to pressure cooker along with 3-4 cups of water. Cook till dals turn soft. Upon cooling, using a wooden smasher or hand blender, slightly puree the dals and set aside.
- Now discard water from wheat rava and pressure cook by adding enough water to cook. When the rava is cooked turn of the flame and add this rava to above pureed dals ._x000D_ Now add marinated chicken/mutton to pressure cooker along with 1 cup of water. Pressure cook till chicken or mutton gets completed cooked.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel (or nonstick cooking vessel) add ghee/oil and when it heats up add whole spices like cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. When the spices start to leave the aroma, add sliced onions and fry till they turn nice golden brown. Be careful while frying onions, if the onions are burnt the recipe will taste bitter. Reserve half of fried onions for garnish.
- In the same oil, along with fried onions add green chill, coriander and mint paste. Fry for 1 minute and add pureed dals, wheat rawa and cooked chicken. Give the mixture a good stir. Now add chicken/mutton stock, pepper powder, coriander powder, jeera powder, oats powder, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice and garam masala. Mix till all the ingredients are mixed nicely.
- Cook by stirring occasionally on low flame for 30-45 minutes till the flavors are incorporated with each other completely. Serve warm by garnishing with reserved fried onion slices and lemon wedges.
No comments yet
Feedback from ITC Head Chef Rahul Shrivastava (Plattershare Recipe Contest July 2015 panelist) \”Very prudent use of oats in hearty recipe of haleem. Thumbs up to your creativity and yet keeping the traditional use of dish profile.\”