Caramel Fruit Cake
Caramel Fruit cake is an all time favourite across all age groups. Whether a festive occasion or high tea party this recipe always dominates majestically. The home made caramel syrup used in the recipe and the fruits soaked in juice proudly revelate the story of this Caramel Fruit Cake. This is a non alcohol based recipe. The mystifying aroma of this cake as it is being baked steadily holds you on . You can hardly wait to devour a slice of it . So read on, make it and enjoy!
- 250 gm All purpose flour maida
- 250 gm Powdered Sugar
- 250 gm egg 4 eggs
- 250 gm Butter softened, unsalted
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tbsp Essence Vanilla
- 1 Zest of orange
FOR CAKE SPICE POWDER
- 2 pieces Cinnamon 1/2 inch
- 4 Cloves
- 6 Cardamoms small
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1/4 cup Water plus 1 tbsp more
- 1/2 cup Sugar 120 gm
- 3/4 cup Orange juice Fresh
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 50 gm Black raisins
- 50 gm Cranberries
- 50 gm Prunes pitted
- 50 gm Tutti frutti
- 50 gm Cashews coarsely chopped
PREPARATION BEFORE DAY OF BAKNG
- Two days before soak the dried fruits and nuts in orange juice and honey
- For spice powder grind together cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom
DAY OF BAKING
- For caramel take the measured sugar in a saucepan and cook on medium heat without stirring till golden in colour. Just swirl the pan in between till you get required golden colour. Add water and set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Whip egg whites till stiff peaks are formed.
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and cake spice powder. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar nicely till creamy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla essence and beat again well
- To this add half of flour mix and caramel syrup. Fold nicely. Now add in remaining flour mix and caramel syrup and fold nicely again
- Now add half the egg whites to the cake batter. Fold and repeat for the remaining egg whites
- Finally mix a tablespoon of maida into the dried fruits. Add the fruits mixture and zest of orange to the flour batter. Fold gently
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Drop batter in a greased and lined baking tray and tap it nicely to remove any air bubbles. Top the cake batter with almond flakes
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes. Then lower temperature to 160 degrees Celsius and bake for 30 minutes more.
- Insert toothpick to check
- Let cake cool Cut and serve
- Alcohol can be used for soaking the fruits and nuts instead of juice.
Buy on Amazon
Calories: 872 kcal | Carbohydrates: 115 g | Protein: 12 g | Fat: 42 g | Saturated Fat: 24 g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12 g | Trans Fat: 1 g | Cholesterol: 245 mg | Sodium: 514 mg | Potassium: 402 mg | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 67 g | Vitamin A: 1408 IU | Vitamin C: 20 mg | Calcium: 118 mg | Iron: 4 mg