Cabbage Stir-Fry / Muttaikhos Poriyal
Already I have shared few cabbage recipes, but this time I am going to share a purple cabbage recipe. I love this purple cabbage, which has little different taste than the usual cabbage, also itâ€™s little crunchy than the usual ones. Got it during my trip to ooty last month.
- Cabbage â€“ 500 gm
- Onions â€“ 1 no
- Green chilies â€“ nos
- Mustard seeds â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Split blackgram â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Curry leaves â€“ a sprig
- Grated coconut â€“ 3 tbsp
- Cumin powder â€“ 1 tsp
- Split Green gram â€“ 2 tbsp
- Oil â€“ 3 tsp
- Wash and finely chop the cabbage into pieces.
- Wash the green gram in water and drain the water.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. Slit and finely chop the green chilies.
- Boil water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add in the green gram dal with little salt. Cover and cook until itâ€™s half boiled.
- Add in the chopped cabbage along with boiling green gram followed by little more salt, cover and cook until the cabbage and green gram is well cooked.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, split black gram and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions, green chilies and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Add in the boiled cabbage and green gram, followed by cumin powder and salt. Cook till the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the grated coconut and cook till they become dry.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and sambhar. Also goes out well with any mutton curry.