Black Rice Pudding
Black Rice is a wholesome grain and is also known as forbidden grain as it lost its value due to white rice is eaten across the world. But due to its health benefits like any other brown rice, it has made a comeback. Previously I have started how to cook Black Rice (See the notes section for the detailed recipe) and today I will share how to make Black Rice kheer, which is rice pudding made from Black Rice, dates and Figs. This is a completely healthy and nutritious and guilt-free dessert which can be enjoyed after lunch or dinner. Black Rice kheer needs over-cooked black rice so let's learn how to make it.
- Black Rice -1/4 Cup Overcooked
- Full-cream Milk - 1 litre.
- Dates seeds removed - 10
- Figs - 5
- Jaggery - 2 tablespoon Optional
- Almond Flakes - For garnishing
- Hot water for soaking.
- OverCooked Black Rice is required for this recipe. Please check the notes section to learn "How to cook black Rice". Soak the Figs and Dates in as much as hot water which is enough to cover the dates and figs for 30 minutes.
- Boil 1 liter of full cream milk and reduce it to 3/4. It will approx take 20 minutes. Add the overcooked black rice and the color of the milk will turn slightly purple. This is because of the black rice color.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- While milk simmers, Take out your dates and figs and grind them to the paste using the same water in which it was soaked and sieve the pulp. Use this as sweetener , if you want to make it additionally sweet, add jaggery.
- Garnish it with Almond flakes and serve, Chill or hot.
Check out How to cook Black Rice. if you want to know about health benefits of Black rice and learn few interesting and exotic recipes, check out this link. Black rice and its healthy recipes. If you are confused about which rice to choose for a healthy lifestyle, This is a must read – Brown rice vs white rice which is better and why