Aunt Indra’S Goan Pepper Beef Roast
The Goan Pepper Beef Roast can be enjoyed as a wonderful light lunch or dinner served along with some tasty mashed potatoes and breads. You could also serve this up as a starter or appetizer or snack along with fries or just as it is. It is also a perfect picnic snack or lunch.
- Main Ingredients
- 1 kg Beef cut into large cubes
- 5 to 6 Cloves
- 3 to 4 Dry red chilies split into two
- Ingredients For Marination
- 2 to 2.5 tablespoons Ginger garlic paste add less if you find the flavor too overpowering
- 2 to 2.5 tsp Ground mustard add less if you find the flavor too overpowering
- 1 to 1.5 tsp Freshly milled black pepper
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoons Vinegar I used regular white vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, add the beef and the ingredients listed under "Ingredients For Marination". Mix well with hands and leave aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour. (You could also avoid the resting period and proceed to the cooking directly after marination.)
- Add the marinated beef cubes into a pressure cooker and cook the meat till cooked completely. Please note that the meat needs to be cooked well but shouldn't break down into smaller pieces and be too soft; instead it should hold shape.
- If there is excess gravy after the meat has been cooked, reduce the gravy till you have 1/2 cup of thick gravy.
- Separate the cooked beef pieces from the gravy and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add cloves and chilies into it. Fry till a nice aroma comes through.
- Now add the cooked beef pieces and on medium to low heat, roast the beef till it is well roasted and the meat has turned a lovely black color.
- At this time, add the reserved gravy into the beef and continue to roast on medium to low heat till the gravy has dried up, the beef is beautifully roasted (it should have a nice blackish roasted color)
- and has a lovely sheen after the pan roasting process.
- Serve hot with freshly prepared mashed potatoes and bread. (refer notes)
- You could also add one large onion (finely sliced) while frying the beef. I did not.
- Serving Suggestions:
- Serve the beef roast along with mashed potatoes and bread.
- Serve as a starter or appetizer.
- Serve along with fries.
- Slice the roasted beef into smaller pieces and add into sandwiches.