Adai Or Mixed Lentils Dosa Recipe
Adai is a healthy breakfast dish made from rice and lentils. Since it is a mix of different dals with rice, it is very high in protein content and make this dish protein rich. It does not require any elaborate preparation and is very simple to make. Ã‚Â Adai is best served with avial, butter or powdered jaggery. Ã‚Â It is a favourite South Indian snack which is not only nutritious but also filling to the stomach.
- Raw rice Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 1 cup
- Bengalgram / Chana dal Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 1/2 cup
- Toor dal Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 1/4 cup
- Urad dal Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 2 tablespoons
- Split yellow moong dal/paasi paruppu Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 2 tablespoons
- Green chillies Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 2
- Whole red chillies Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 5
- A pinch of turmeric powder optional
- Ginger or adrak Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 1 inch small piece
- Grated coconut - 2 tablespoons
- A pinch of hing or asafoetida
- 1 string of curry leaves
- Cooking oil for making adais
- HOW TO MAKE ADAI RECIPE_x000D_ _x000D_ Wash and soak rice and dals together for 3-4 hours. Drain and keep it aside.
- First grind green chillies, red chillies, adrak, coconut, hing, curry leaves and salt. Then add soaked and drained rice and dals and grind into a coarse paste. Add little water and make a thick batter. The batter should be thicker than the idli dosa batter. You can start making adais immediately or keep upto 3 hours and then make it. Both the ways, it tastes good.
- Heat a flat pan or tawa on a medium flame. Pour two ladles of batter and form a thick round circle. Make a small hole in the middle and drizzle little oil in it. Pour little oil around the adai and cook for sometime until golden brown. Turn and cook on the other side, pouring another teaspoon of oil around it. Once both the sides are cooked well, remove from the tawa and serve hot with avial or jaggery or butter.
- NOTES/TIPS_x000D_ _x000D_ Finely chopped onions or chopped carrots can be added to the batter just before making adais to make it more tastier and healthier. (Here I have not added onions)._x000D_ _x000D_ Grind the batter to a coarse paste and not too soft as it gives a nice crispier texture to the adais._x000D_ _x000D_ You can refrigerate the batter for upto 2-3 days. It stays good if onions or coconut are not added to it.