Cheese is the signature identity of Italian cuisine because Italians have mastered the cheese-making techniques. Currently, more than 10 types of different Italian cheese products are available in the market. All of them differ on the basis of their formation process and ingredients. Usually, we search for Italian cheese in the local market & forget that it is very easy to prepare at home. Cheese is something that we can prepare at home with the right ingredients and recipe. Cheesemaking is a tradition among Italian people that passes from one generation to another for centuries. With significant improvement in global connectivity, antic recipes of making authentic Italian cheese spread all over the world. Mozzarella, cheddar and parmesan are some most popular variants of Italian cheese. Why choose chemically treated cheese if you can prepare it home with our easy-to-follow recipe. Scroll down to know the complete process of mozzarella and parmesan cheese formation.
Mozzarella cheese recipe
Melted mozzarella cheese spread over Pizza or pasta gives a unique flavour and texture to your dishes. We can easily prepare it at home with only a few ingredients. Check out the complete list.
- Raw milk 1 gallon
- Citric acid 1 ½ teaspoon
- Coldwater ¾ cup
- Liquid rennet ¼ teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
Directions to prepare
Total time:- 1.5 hours
Total servings:- 12
Approximate calories:- 195
- Take a small bowl to combine rennet with ¼ cup of water. Mix the rennet in the water to dissolve it properly.
- In another small bowl, mix citric acid with 1 ½ cup of water. Heat up the milk while stirring occasionally for around 5 minutes and pour the citric water in it.
- Remove the heating milk from the gas burner and keep on stirring for a minute clockwise and anticlockwise.
- Allow it to settle when the milk starts turning into curd. It will hardly take 5 to 10 minutes. Keep on pressing the cured with a knife and other equipment.
- Slice the pieces vertically into cubes and again hate it at 43 degree Celsius for 5 minutes.
- Use a mesh cloth to squeeze the water for obtaining the purest form of mozzarella cheese. Drain out as much liquid as you can from the cheese.
- Heat this extracted solid by dipping it in hot whey. After dipping for 10 seconds, take it out, stretch and knead like flour. repeat this process until the cheese becomes smooth and a 10 good elasticity. Sprinkle the salt and knead properly to make small balls.
- Once they cool down at room temperature, wrap them properly and keep inside the refrigerator. Your mozzarella cheese will be ready to serve with various authentic Italian dishes.
How to find good quality parmesan cheese?
Unlike mozzarella, cheese formation is more complicated. It requires some ingredients that you may not find in the supermarkets or any local shop. Therefore, we recommend buying Italian parmesan cheese online from reliable sellers. Here are some tips to help you in finding the original cheese.
- Search for a website supplying native Italian food products of multiple brands. Some Italian cheese-making brands are in this profession from the last one or two centuries.
- Pay attention to its texture which must be dry and crumbly. If its surface looks smooth, don’t buy. A good quality parmesan cheese will have a dry appearance and uneven surface.
- The freshly grated parmesan cheese must be at least 18 months old. Without adequate maturity, it cannot produce the original flavours.
- Look closely to identify Little white crystals on your cheese. They are known as tyrosine, an amino acid responsible for giving it a unique flavour.
While searching for parmesan or mozzarella cheese online, don’t forget to check its origin. Always prefer Italian cheese manufacturers because they hold the secret recipes of cheese making in a traditional way.