All of us have faced the situation when we all geared up and ready to cook something, one of the needed ingredient’s empty container smiles at us. What to do now? Here comes Emergency Cooking Substitutions to help you from our Smart Tips…
- Don’t hesitate to use a different vegetable in a recipe. Green peas and beans always work out best for Broccoli.
- Use Sambhar powder instead of Coriander seed powder and Chilli powder.
- If Corn starch is not available, dilute all purpose flour in water and make it thick by eating it for 3 minutes.
- All purpose flour can be substituted by Whole wheat flour.
- Instead of tomatoes for gravies, mix 3 table spoons of tomato sauce in water add a tea spoon of corn flour and mix well. Replace it for tomato.
- If there is no stock of corn flour to coat vegetables for frying, equal the quantity of rice flour and wheat flour.
- Condensed milk can be replaced by heating Whole milk till it becomes half in its content and use.
- In the place of dry bread crumps, Crumble the bread slices and use.
- All spice powder can be substituted by Crushed clove and Cinnamon
Some more Substitutes for:
- Onions —-> Grated cabbage
- Tamarind —-> Tomatoes
- Vinegar —-> Lemon juice
- Unsweetened Chocolate —–> Mix 3 tablespoons of cocoa with a table spoon of butter or vegetable oil
- Cashews for thickening gravies —-> Dry roast 2 teaspoons poppy seeds and grind with the masala spices
- Fresh cream for soups —-> Milk plus butter.