What Exactly Is A Vegan?
By definition a vegan is a person who does not eat meat or use animal products in any form. Some of you are probably thinking, they are vegans, no bacon or eggs! But have no fear there are tasteful options in the city of Washington DC where you can explore new things while still sticking to the vegan way of life. In this article we will discuss a few places in DC where you can get good vegan food options. Hopefully by the end of the article you’ll have a new outlook on what it means to be vegan, and it may just pursue you to make a life altering decision.
Let’s start out by naming a few places and talking about what’s vegan and cooking on the menu in the city!
HipCityVeg is located in DC in two different locations. They offer a variety of vegetarian and vegan plant-based fast food. Their philosophy is, “Eat well. Feel good.” At either location you were able to do so, the company is 100% organic, using non-GMO soy ingredients. All salads are made from fresh organic leafy greens, and some elements are from local sources. So food shows up fresh every morning at the restaurant and at the end of the day waste is composted into recycled matter.
- Menu selections – From burgers and sandwiches, to salad, frozen treats, and even breakfast HipCityVeg seems to have it all. They even offer Chick’n wraps and sandwiches. If you are a vegan and visiting the area, and just so happen to visit then please stop by. They offer catering as well.
With four locations around the United States, and even a food truck known as the “Woodlands Vegan Bistro.” Aside from offering many of the vegan favorites, they also offer family meals which freed up to 5 to 10 people.
- Menu selections- The family meals include entrées such as barbecue tofu, ginger spice tofu, and lasagna. Hot sides like collard greens, sweet potatoes, and mac & cheese. Cold sides such a sweet kale and garlic kale. Just when this magical wonderland of vegetarian extravaganzas seems like it couldn’t get any better, it did. They also offer gift cards for when you’re looking for the perfect gift for your vegan friends.
Elizabeth’s Gone Raw
This is a location in Washington DC is a Friday and Saturday night only dining setting where you can enjoy many vegan tasteful delights. The story behind this restaurant is breathtaking and began in 2009, when Elizabeth petty endured a struggle with breast cancer and pursued a lifestyle of veganism to attain better health, vitality, and mental stability. This experience inspired the founder to pursue an experiment that ended in the foundation of Elizabeth’s Gone Raw. The venue can seat 120 guests and seat in private meetings, up to 80 guests.
- Menu Selections – Although this venue offers catering and gift cards, their sample tasting menu involves several selections. But to name a few made available, Crispy Malanga Root Tuile, Bloomsdale Spinach Soup, Aloe Vera Oro Blanco Salad, Hibiscus Urga Pepper Sorbet, And Jackfruit Ravioli and Fairytale Squash Purée.
This is an Israeli restaurant that caters towards vegan style dishes with two locations in the DC area.
- Menu selections – This restaurant serves a variety of burgers, pitas & bowls, Breakfast, hummus, salads, sides, and even dishes to tickle your sweet tooth. To add onto a dish is $.75 cents. The menu has a total selection of 24 items, so you are sure to find something that you like through the vast variety of options. It is one of the cheaper options for vegan food in the DC area.
This restaurant is a bakery, diner and bar.
- Menu selections – They offer various reheatable dishes such as lasagna, caulifredo, hummus, spiced pancake mix, chocolate chip cookie mix, and Fluff. As far as drinks are concerned they supply numerous cocktails, various wines, and beer. Their every day menu consists of Polenta Fries, Burrata, Mediterranean plates, Greek cuisine, vegan burgers, tofu dishes, mac & cheese, and even breakfast foods. But that’s not all, farewell is also a bakery and offers an assortment of cakes, cookies , croissants and other sweets to tickle your fancy. The best part is, they also offer gift cards starting at $10.
Chaia Tacos Georgetown
This location is a cost efficient means of getting delicious vegan food. They offer catering and gift cards as well as ordering online.
- Menu selections – The restaurant offers tacos such as braised mushroom, creamy kale and potato, citrus roasted beets, smoky collard greens, and chipotle sweet potato hash. Sides, like black beans, green rice, and quesadillas. As well as foods other than tacos like farm tostadas, and sweet potato nachos.They also offer a variety of teas, wine, and other spirits to drink.
This Asian restaurant offers plant based bowls and rolls in the DC area. They offer catering, gift cards, as well as ordering online.
- Menu selections – Pow Pow Offers and exquisite selection for vegan brunch. Some of the selections include Miso soup, Trolley fries, disco stick egg rolls, fried rice, as well as chicken and pork entrées if you’re not feeling the vegan vibe.
This location in Washington DC offers vegan options that are kosher, gluten-free, and nut free. The business supports the local farming community and they also compost. They specialize in Plant based, healthy delicious soups in a proportioned fashion.
- Menu selections – The menu is mostly soups but they also offer food fit for babies as well in a soup form. The soups range from creole rice and beans, Portuguese white bean Kale, gingered sweet potato, Mediterranean red lentil, Spicy creamy chickpea, and much more!
Wrapping It Up
These are just a few locations in Washington DC where you can enjoy good food in a fun healthy, entertaining environment. A vegan brunch in Washington DC doesn’t have to be bland. Although some of these locations offer meat entrées, they all specialize in vegan dishes of their own class. The next time you visit, or just so happen to go downtown to the city, be sure to stop at one of these local eateries and try something new for vegan brunch.